Senior Reporter
jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt
Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander says an arrest is imminent in connection with a series of bomb threats that triggered heightened security measures across Trinidad and Tobago earlier this week.
Alexander provided the update yesterday while speaking to Guardian Media during a police road traffic exercise in Mt Hope.
The Minister, however, declined to disclose details about the investigation, saying doing so could alert the suspect and compromise the efforts of law enforcement.
“An arrest is imminent,” Alexander said when asked for an update on the investigation into the bomb threats.
He subsequently explained why he was not prepared to provide further information.
“When you do an investigation, you can’t tell everybody anything,” Alexander said, adding that a suspect could be monitoring public statements and adjusting their actions based on information released by authorities.
“You have to be careful what you say to people now, you know, more than ever,” he said.
On Wednesday, a series of 11 bomb threats were reported, targeting several courts, a shopping plaza and a Government ministry.
The threats resulted in security agencies, including the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service and Trinidad and Tobago Fire Service, being placed on heightened alert as authorities responded to the reports and carried out security checks.
Yesterday, police conducted nationwide road traffic exercises as part of a joint public safety initiative involving the police, licensing authorities and traffic officers.
However, Alexander stressed that the exercise was not a direct response to the bomb threats.
Asked whether the activity was linked to the security concerns earlier in the week, he said: “It’s a response to public safety. That’s what it is, and that’s all it is.”
He described yesterday’s exercise as part of an ongoing effort to improve coordination between law enforcement and other agencies.
The Minister also used the opportunity to criticise motorists and members of the public who alert others to the presence of police during enforcement exercises.
He said such behaviour could potentially assist criminals who may be attempting to evade law enforcement.
Alexander urged members of the public to instead provide information to police, licensing officers or traffic officers when they observe suspicious activity.
“If you’re driving here, someone entered your home in Chaguanas or wherever you live, and they are on their way to make good of their escape, you being a victim just indicated to the criminal element that there are police here to stop you,” he said.
The Minister also provided an update on the rollout of the new police posts which will be jointly run by police and army personnel.
He said additional posts are expected to be opened as the initiative progresses, although they have not yet been fully commissioned.
“We are close enough. As time goes by, we will open more of these posts,” Alexander said.
He said authorities are assessing how the initiative can improve safety and security for citizens, while yesterday’s exercise was aimed at strengthening cooperation among agencies.
