Senior Reporter
anna-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt
Days after he went public with claims of a long-running bribery racket at the Immigration Division, Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander is expected to hand over documents to senior police officials to support further investigations.
Confirming this yesterday while addressing reporters during a media briefing at the Police Administration Building in Port-of-Spain, Commissioner of Police Allister Guevarro said he had been made aware of the matter following discussions with Alexander on Wednesday.
Guevarro said the minister had since “undertaken to submit some documentation to my office.”
Alexander’s disclosure centred on allegations of a corruption racket within the Immigration Division, in which both officials and employees are said to have been involved. He claimed that millions of dollars had been paid over the years in exchange for citizenship, residency permits, work permits and passport appointments.
Among the most serious allegations is that some officials allegedly charged foreign nationals upwards of $90,000 for residency documents and work permits in Trinidad and Tobago.
The minister said the alleged racket had gone undetected for years due to weak accountability and inadequate monitoring systems.
