Kalypso Revue has put in a request for $400,000 from the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, as the tent gets set to open its doors for the 2019 Carnival season.
Whether they receive the subventions or not, chairman of the tent Michael “Sugar Aloes” Osuna promised the show will go on.
Yesterday, Aloes said they had put forward a $400,000 request in State funding to the ministry, but they were awaiting a response.
“I can’t say when I will get feedback but I know they are working on it.”
Giving details about the show, Aloes said Revue will open on February 8 at the Arima Velodrome with a reduced cast of 23 singers.
Among the line up are Skatie, Pink Panther, Baron, Devon Seales and Chalkdust.
In a bid to woo patrons they have advertised three people on one ticket for $400 until February 4.
“I could work with $400,000. I asked for $400,000,” Aloes said when asked how much funding they had requested from the ministry this year.
If Government fails to hand over the subventions, Aloes said “ if we ain’t get that (money), we would see what we can do. We will try.”
Last year, the tent received $150,000 in State funding while they were promised $50,000 in sponsorship from the National Lotteries Control Board.
He said some tents work with $1 million.
In the past, Aloes said, his tent opened every night leading up to Carnival, but in 2019 they will operate for only three days a week—Thursday Friday and Saturday for four weeks.
By 11.30 pm, Aloes said, they will wrap up the show.
“We don’t intend to go beyond three hours of performance. Once you start at a reasonable time and finish early people will come. We want the show to finish early so patrons can go home early, given the crime situation. I think people will come out to hear the new calypsoes. It’s one way of de-stressing and a form of enjoyment.”
Last year, the Revue complained that they could not open due to lack of state funding.
However, when they opened, there was a poor turn out of patrons.