The Trinidad & Tobago Defence Force were crowned the National Panorama Small Band champions on Thursday.
The Army band, rocking school uniforms, took the title playing a Duvone Stewart-arrangement of Bally’s 1989 hit Maxi Dub at Skinner Park, San Fernando. They scored 286 points, just three more than Tobago’s T&TEC New East Side Dimension, who played Kees Diffenthaller’s Hello arranged by Kersa Ramsey.
Defending champs Golden Hands, who played High (on The Music) composed, arranged and sung by Vanessa Alexander Headley, had to settle for third with 280 points.
In addition to the Small Band competition, patrons were treated to some of the finalists from the Ken “Professor” Philmore calypso competition as well as sections of Sando’s best Mas bands, including Kalicharan Carnival, Lionel Jaggesar & Associates, House of Jacqui (Junior Band) and traditional mas.
These elements were added to the show as an added incentive for patrons to stay in South to experience to experience the wider Carnival experience. Speaking about the initiative, Pan Trinbago’s South Central Region chairman Phillip Barker said, “This was a golden opportunity for San Fernandians to come out in their numbers and get an early taste of Carnival seeing that there will not be a South Pre-Dimanche Gras show this year.”
Pan Trinbago also paid tribute to cultural icons Ken “Professor’ Philmore, Dr Winston “Mighty Shadow” Bailey and Winston Scarborough, who all passed away last year. Withfield Weekes and Steve Achaiba (Posthumous) were also recipients of awards at the event.
1 T&T Defence Force - Maxi Dub (Duvone Stewart) 286
2. T&TEC New East Side Dimension - Hello (Kersa Ramsey) 283
3. Golden Hands - High (On D Music) (Vanessa Alexander-Headley) 280
4. Laventille Serenaders - Stranger (Arddin Herbert) 279
5. Arima Golden Symphony - Pan By Storm (Terrence BJ Marcelle) 278
6. Uptown Fascinators - Hulk (Ojay Richards) 277
7. Fusion Steel Ensemble - Sweet Fuh Days (Dike Samai) 274
7. C&B Crown Cordaans - Sweet Fuh Days (Koreece Graham) 274
7. Fascinators Pan Symphony - Ah Come Out To Party (Yohan Popwell) 274
10 La Horquetta Pan Groove - Year For Love (Kion Robinson) 273
11 Tornadoes - Pumpin (Shervon “Shev” Edwards) 271
12 Alpha Pan Pioneers - Callin Meh (Marina Marian) 269
12. West Side Symphony - Bacchanal (Mickiel Gabriel) 269
14. Jay Notes - Missing Generation (Akil Brown) 268