The family of 15-year-old Malachi Glenn, one of the three survivors of the police-involved killing in Port-of-Spain which claimed the lives of three young men, is calling on the acting Commissioner of Police Mc Donald Jacob and Police Complaints Authority director David West to release CCTV footage of the incident.
The family instructed their attorney Om Lalla to write the acting Commissioner requesting the CCTV video.
Earlier this week, Jacob told members of the media that the police investigators had CCTV footage of the incident.
The letter from attorney Lalla stated that the seriousness of this matter requires that Jacob maintain and preserve it, as it will be required in legal proceedings.
The letter asked for all CCTV footage from T&T Police Service and Ministry of National Security cameras, as well as from any surrounding businesses.
The incident, which reportedly began as a police chase from Diego Martin, ended along Independence Square, Port-of-Spain, close to Republic Bank and other commercial entities.
In addition, the letter from Lalla also requested that all body camera recordings, ballistic reports of the officers who used ammunition upon the client (Malachi Glenn), the number of rounds of ammunition used, forensic reports of the deceased, inclusive of post-mortem findings, evidence of the directions of shots fired into the vehicle, inclusive of any crime scene investigation report, as well as station diary reports of the incident and medical reports of all the occupants of the vehicle.
Lalla stated that the recent statements of the TTPS that Senior Superintendent Brandon John has been appointed as a lead investigator is welcomed but requested that “that an undertaking be given that the investigation is completed promptly given the severity of this matter.”
The letter also made a request that the integrity of all evidence obtained in this matter be preserved with the highest security.
Lalla added that the “anxiety of the nation and the pressure on the TTPS in no way shirks its responsibility to act according to its legal mandate to protect and serve, nor is the current level of crime an excuse for lawlessness or illegality by those who are legally empowered in law enforcement.”
Fifteen-year-old Malachi was shot in his arm during the incident in the early hours of Saturday morning. He was treated at hospital and discharged days later.
After he returned home, he attended several vigils held for his three friends—Isaiah Roberts, Leonardo Williams and Fabien Richards—who were killed during the encounter with police.
The two other survivors were released from police custody with no charges.
On Thursday, one of the other survivors of the shooting, identified only as Jeremiah, denied during an interview that there was a firearm in their vehicle or in anyone’s possession.
“Nobody had possession of no firearm. It had, was a flip-knife for self-defence,” he said.
He also said CCTV footage of the incident will corroborate the group’s version of events. In a press release this week, the TTPS maintained officers were shot at by the men in the car and that officers also recovered a firearm from the vehicle.
