Senior Political Reporter
A war of words has erupted between former housing minister Camille Robinson-Regis and Land and Legal Affairs Minister Saddam Hosein over the Beaucarro and Allamby housing development projects, as well as comments relating to the Office of the Procurement Regulator (OPR).
Robinson-Regis raised concerns about the lands involved yesterday, while also criticising Hosein’s remarks suggesting that the OPR ignored or neglected complaints during the People’s National Movement’s (PNM) tenure, and that the OPR board “will soon have many questions to answer,” with comparisons to be made between its handling of current matters and those under the PNM administration.
Her comments came after Moruga resident Edward Collins filed a complaint with the OPR regarding the Beaucarro, Couva, development being undertaken by LandmarkTT.
Robinson-Regis yesterday described the Beaucarro procurement exercise as “highly questionable,” saying it appears to follow “the same troubling pattern” as the Allamby, San Fernando, residential development matter.
She said the public deserves urgent clarity on the status of the Allamby and Beaucarro lands, which were previously identified as part of settlement arrangements for former Petrotrin workers.
“These lands carried significant national and social importance arising from commitments made during Petrotrin’s restructuring,” she said.
“Citizens deserve answers: Were workers consulted? Have the original commitments regarding these lands been abandoned? What protections exist for affected workers? Why were these lands repurposed without proper public transparency?”
Referring to a reported mandatory site visit on May 14, involving a “group of contractors” for the Beaucarro project, Robinson-Regis raised further questions.
“Who selected them? What criteria were used? Why were other qualified contractors excluded? Was the Procurement Depository utilised? How does restricting participation satisfy the principles of transparency, fairness and value for money under the law?” she asked.
She said Government must explain why open competitive tendering was avoided, whether political considerations influenced contractor selection, whether procurement timelines were structured to limit competition, and whether taxpayers are being exposed to inflated costs and reduced value.
“There are serious concerns that qualified contractors registered with the Procurement Depository were denied an opportunity to participate. Equally concerning is the apparent disregard for the OPR’s authority and intervention,” she said.
Robinson-Regis also described Hosein’s comments on the OPR as “deeply troubling,” saying they raise concerns about respect for independent institutions and due process.
“To suggest the regulator and the board ‘will have many questions to answer’ can reasonably be interpreted as an attempt to intimidate or pressure an independent regulatory body simply because it is carrying out its lawful mandate under the Procurement Act,” she said.
She added that if the minister had information about complaints allegedly ignored, the appropriate response would be to pursue the matter through proper legal and institutional channels rather than making public accusations that could undermine the regulator’s integrity.
Robinson-Regis said that between 2023 and 2025, matters were brought before the OPR, but “never on the scale currently confronting Trinidad and Tobago.”
“Unlike this administration, the previous administration did not ignore or bypass the OPR in the conduct of operations,” she said.
“What is now deeply concerning is the apparent pattern by this administration of disregarding the role, authority and oversight responsibility of the OPR.”
She further said the minister’s comments appeared “less about accountability and more about creating a political distraction from serious questions surrounding his own circumstances,” adding that attacks on oversight bodies were unfortunate and damaging to public confidence in procurement processes.
Hosein responds
In response, Hosein strongly rejected Robinson-Regis’ criticisms, saying she “has no moral authority to speak on housing,” citing what he described as failures during her tenure.
“Mrs Robinson-Regis has no moral authority to speak on housing as she has presided over the greatest failure in the housing sector over the last 10 years,” he said.
“She sat quite comfortably in the Housing Ministry while her junior minister had serious questions to answer regarding questionable business relationships in the UK.”
He also referenced the Auditor General’s 2025 report, claiming it found $78 million was improperly used by the Housing Development Corporation (HDC) to pay contractors for grass cutting rather than house construction.
“I refuse to engage a woman who is at the end of her political career with zero ounce of shame,” he said.
On the procurement matter, Hosein said he was advised that the OPR had not informed LandmarkTT of any complaint regarding Beaucarro.
“Your newspaper prominently carried a PNM-filed complaint by a sitting PNM MP,” he said.
“The PNM is going at all costs to prevent houses from being built and persons from getting jobs.”
He reiterated that no public funds will be used for the Beaucarro project and said the Government is awaiting the OPR’s findings.
“At present, we await the OPR findings to compare their actions under the PNM and the UNC, as the PNM and the OPR may have many questions of their own to answer,” he added.
