Derek Achong
A Carenage man has been granted permission to pursue a lawsuit against the Chief of Defence Staff over a decision to block him from joining the T&T Defence Force (TTDF) as a recruit.
Last Thursday, High Court Judge Frank Seepersad granted leave to Christopher Stanislaus, of L’Anse Mitan Road, in Carenage, to pursue a judicial review case over the issue.
In his court filings, obtained by Guardian Media, Stanislaus’ lawyers claimed that he responded to the TTDF’s recruitment drive last year, and was informed in writing that he was selected to undergo basic training for the T&T Regiment.
His lawyers claimed that the day before training was due to commence in early January, he was contacted and told to instead report to the Coast Guard Training Facility in Chaguaramas.
Stanislaus claimed that when he arrived he was met by a lieutenant, a sergeant, and a private, who told him that the TTDF had received an “adverse report” on him from the T&T Police Service (TTPS) while performing background checks on new recruits.
“The applicant was not provided with a copy of any report nor was any report read out to him or elaborated upon,” his lawyers said, as they claimed that he was told that he could no longer participate in the recruitment process.
His lawyers claimed that he was questioned over whether he had gang affiliations and he responded in the negative.
Based on the recommendation of the sergeant, Stanislaus obtained and submitted a letter from a senior police officer indicating that he (Stanislaus) had a clean criminal record with no pending cases or convictions and a testimonial from his former employer.
However, the decision was not reversed.
“It is my contention that I have suffered a fate that is unfair. There is nothing criminal known against me and I know this to be true,” Stanislaus said in his affidavit attached to the case.
In the lawsuit, his lawyers are contending that the action taken against him was unreasonable, unfair, irrational, unlawful, and against the principles of natural justice.
Through the lawsuit, Stanislaus is seeking a series of declarations against the decision and an order quashing it.
Stanislaus is also seeking the salary and benefits he would have received from January if he was not ejected from the recruitment process.
In the event that he eventually succeeds in his lawsuit but Justice Seepersad decides against ordering his reinstatement, Stanislaus is seeking approximately $1.78 million in damages, which represents his potential loss of future earnings.
Stanislaus applied for the case to be treated urgently as he pointed out that he would be automatically barred from joining the TTDF if the decision stands when he turns 25-years-old in June.
In ruling that Stanislaus had presented an arguable case with a realistic prospect of success at an eventual trial, Justice Seepersad granted a stay of the decision to remove him from the selected recruits.
The stay will be reconsidered by Justice Seepersad when the case comes up for hearing, next Monday.
Stanislaus was represented by Arden Williams and Mariah Ramrattan.
