Senior Reporter
derek.achong@guardian.co.tt
While the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) remains under public scrutiny following reports of concerns raised by judges over the regional court’s management, the court has moved to change the way judges are assigned to preside over cases.
In a press release issued yesterday afternoon, the CCJ announced revised arrangements for the assignment of judicial panels.
It stated that all seven judges of the court, including CCJ President Winston Anderson, will sit on all panels, subject to a judge being formally excused for a legitimate reason.
“The arrangements are intended to promote consistency, transparency, and flexibility in the allocation of judicial work and to support the efficient administration of justice,” the court said.
“The three panel leaders will comprise the President of the Court and the two most senior judges,” it added.
The new arrangement took effect immediately.
In a release issued in response, Assembly of Southern Lawyers president Saira Lakhan questioned the basis and timing of the change.
“Requiring every judge to sit on every panel may create an appearance of transparency, but it raises legitimate questions as to whether this is a knee-jerk reaction to what has entered the public domain or a carefully researched reform suited to the CCJ’s unique jurisdiction, workload and operational requirements,” Lakhan said.
She also questioned whether the move was announced following consultation with the judges.
“Against the background of concerns in the public domain about the allegedly heavy-handed imposition of internal practices, I sincerely hope that this decision was reached collaboratively, commands the consensus of the Court, and represents a workable institutional reform rather than a temporary response to public controversy,” she said.
“If, however, this was another unilateral decision taken without meaningful consultation, it is unlikely to resolve the underlying institutional concerns that have entered the public domain,” she added.
The investigative report published by the T&T Express claimed that Anderson had been accused by his colleagues of managing the court in an authoritarian and dictatorial manner.
It highlighted complaints from judges in email exchanges over a wide range of issues, including the imposition of a judicial dress code, purported “panel fixing” and attempts to influence the outcome of cases.
The Regional Judicial and Legal Services Commission (RJLSC) has initiated a transparent and independent review of the allegations levelled against Anderson.
“The commission recognises the seriousness of these matters and the importance of addressing them in a manner that protects public trust and confidence in the court and the broader administration of justice throughout the Caribbean,” it said.
“As a result, the RJLSC believes that these concerns are best addressed through the established internal governance mechanisms of the court and the commission, and through a transparent and independent review undertaken in the best interest of the region,” it added.
Last Friday, Anderson issued a lengthy press release in which he denied any wrongdoing and sought to respond to the individual complaints raised by his colleagues.
Meanwhile, lawyers representing Guyana Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed and his businessman father Nazar “Shell” Mohamed, are calling on the CCJ not to allow Anderson to take part in proceedings against their clients until allegations of bias are addressed.
The attorneys – Roysdale Forde, Siand Dhurjon and Damien Da Silva – have sent an August 14, 2026 letter to the Registrar of the CCJ, Guyana’s highest and final court, indicating that the Mohameds were “deeply disturbed and distressed by the allegations and have formed the strong and reasonable view that they may not have received the fair hearing which is constitutionally guaranteed to them”.
The letter has been copied to the Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Anil Nandlall as well as the attorneys for the Minister of Home Affairs, Oneidge Walrond and the Chief Magistrate, Judy Latchman.
On July 29, 2026, the CCJ ruled against the Mohameds, dismissing their appeal and lifting an interim stay, clearing the way for the local magistrates’ court to resume extradition committal proceedings requested by the United States.
The Mohameds are wanted by US law enforcement officials on money laundering, wire fraud and mail fraud linked to their gold trading business.
Their lawyers have said that if a set of documents and other material are not provided legal action would be taken. The move by the Mohameds follows reports of Justice Anderson’s interaction last year with President Irfaan Ali and then Opposition Leader Aubrey Norton regarding the appointment of the Chancellor of the Judiciary.
Last weekend Justice Anderson, in addressing concerns about the Mohameds’ case, said there were robust and candid exchanges among the judges during deliberations and preparation of the judgement, as with many other cases in appellate courts in the Commonwealth.
He said in the Mohameds case, the judges expressed differing views regarding aspects of the reasoning and the manner in which certain issues should be articulated in the final judgment
