Firefighters believe the cause of the Sunday night’s fire at the Scarborough Fire Station was linked to a faulty air-condition unit.
This is the preliminary finding of the Occupational, Health and Safety officer.
The building had significant and water damage as investigators toured the building on Monday.
According to Fire Services Association President Leo Ramkissoon, it was the second such fire in months, at the station.
“We suspect it’s a similar fire and we have been clamouring for work to be done on the electrical system as there was an electrical fire there sometime late last year,” he told Guardian Media.
He said the building, which houses more than 100 hundred officers, is very old.
Referring to the condition under which the officers work, the Association’s president said the structure is made of wood and “there is evidence that woodlice (termites) would have eaten parts of it...there is a degree of discomfort as officers exist in a cramped, old-dated environment and the electrical system is a problem.”
A post on the station’s Facebook page indicates that the Fire Services celebrated its 60th anniversary at the station last year. The building was commissioned on April 18, 1958.
Meanwhile, Divisional Fire Officer David Joseph- Thomas, told Guardian Media that preliminary information showed the male dormitory was destroyed in the fire. The cost of the damage has been estimated at $.5 million.
He said the blaze, which was extinguished in less than 30 minutes, was discovered by an off-duty fire officer at 7 pm.
Joseph-Thomas said while officers were trying to douse the fire at the station they received a call of a fire in Mason Hall.
“It turned out to be false, but we had sent most of our appliances to that area to deal with that fire,” Joseph- Thomas said.
There have been 16 reported house fires in the Mason Hall/Moriah area over the past four months.
On Sunday, villagers sprang into action when another house caught fire. They caught and handed over to police, a suspected arsonist.
And in an unrelated matter, a van was seen burning in front of the fire station on Friday, just before 3 pm.
The Divisional Fire Officer told Guardian Media that the vehicle did not catch on fire in front of the station.
“It started in Bacolet and the man made a valiant effort to drive it to the station. However, all our appliances were out fighting bush fires at the time,” Joseph-Thomas told Guardian Media.
He said fire officers used “innovative ways” to oust the vehicular fire.