January 31 is the deadline for assessment of flood victims to be completed, Social Development Minister Cherrie-Ann Crichlow-Cockburn told Parliament yesterday.
Replying to Opposition questions, she said 6,501 site visits to victims of last year’s floods were done and in November 5,523 cheques were disbursed. That exercise is ongoing.
Crichlow-Cockburn said completion of cheque distribution will take place in the shortest time possible. She said 20 calls were received from the 800-OPIC (Older Persons Information centre) hotline on when cheques would be ready for distribution and all 20 were processed.
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said 14,895 houses in 36 areas of several counties were sprayed and defogged following the floods and continuous monitoring is taking place. He detailed health inspectors’ procedures to deal with flood-water contaminated food, including 17,449 visits, checks for signs of flood damage and disposal of contaminated items. He said the Chief Medical Officer is examining a matter concerning carrots which were not disposed of properly.