A Laventille man has been freed of murdering a fellow resident in 2009 after the State’s main witness admitted he had lied.
Ashton “Doi Doi” Medina spent more than 16 years on remand before he was found not guilty of murder, attempted murder, and shooting with intent at the end of his judge-alone trial before Justice Trevor Jones earlier this week.
Medina was accused of murdering 20-year-old Kenroy Joseph on April 26, 2009. Joseph, of Prizgar Lands, Laventille, was driving his car in Success Village when a gunman opened fire on him.
Joseph, who sustained several gunshot wounds, was taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Medina was arrested days later after Joseph’s friend, Jason Hilarie, told police he had seen Medina shooting at Joseph. Hilarie repeated that claim during the preliminary inquiry before a magistrate but changed his account during Medina’s trial.
He testified that he and Medina were members of rival gangs and that he had fabricated the allegation. Hilarie also admitted he waited three days before reporting the incident to police because he needed time to rehearse his false story.
While being cross-examined by Medina’s attorneys—Senior Counsel John Heath and Karunaa Bisramsingh of Allum Chambers—Hilarie further admitted that he had visited Medina in prison before the trial and confessed what he had done, saying he wanted to “purge” his conscience.
Despite the admission, State prosecutors successfully applied to have him declared a hostile witness, allowing his previous police statement and his testimony in the preliminary inquiry to be considered.
In their closing submissions, Medina’s attorneys raised concerns about the reliability of Hilarie’s purported identification and noted that investigators failed to probe Medina’s alibi—that he had been smoking marijuana with a friend along the Eastern Main Road in Laventille at the time of the shooting.
In determining the case, Justice Jones examined the plausibility of Hilarie’s initial account. He noted that Hilarie said he left home after receiving a text message from Joseph at about 9.34 am, and that police responded to the shooting only six minutes later.
Justice Jones observed that Hilarie had consistently maintained it would take approximately 30 minutes to walk from his home to the scene of the shooting. The judge pointed out that this evidence was never challenged, and prosecutors did not call another witness to provide a different time estimate.
Justice Jones found that, based on the timing issue and his inability to accept that Hilarie could have witnessed the shooting, he could not be sure Medina was responsible, as there was no other evidence linking him to the crime. - Derek Achong
