Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
A high-level security threat triggered the shutdown of Midnight Mas just over an hour before midnight on Carnival Monday in San Fernando, unleashing outrage among masqueraders, bandleaders, vendors and city officials.
The event, one of South Trinidad’s signature Carnival attractions outside of J’Ouvert, had been scheduled to end at 1 am yesterday. However, at approximately 10.55 pm, music trucks were ordered to cut the sound and bands were forced to disperse.
Speaking to Guardian Media afterwards, San Fernando Mayor Robert Parris said he was informed around 10.30 pm that instructions had been given to end the event before the agreed cut-off time.
“I was sitting at Harris Promenade when the superintendent whispered in my ear that they were given instructions to shut down the Midnight Mas,” Parris said.
“I asked if it was a national emergency. He said no, it was Monday Night Mas. I asked why. He said all he could do was follow instructions.”
By 10.45 pm, Parris said, the event had been halted. After the third band crossed, a police vehicle intercepted and blocked off remaining masqueraders. (See page 11)
The mayor described the atmosphere as tense, warning that the sudden move could have escalated into a riot. He said a vendor who came with two pots of corn soup, and souse was distressed.
“This could have turned into a riot because people were really upset. Up to that point, I had no reports from the TTPS of any major incident in San Fernando,” he said.
Among the registered bands participating were Midnight Jammers led by Curtis Williams; 2 Minx Promotions headed by Tamika Noel; Rebel Nation under Marcus Baptist; South Is D Bess led by Lesa Gonzales; MOS Carnival headed by Addae Seon; Soleil Jouvert led by Darian Abhiram; Inception managed by Darren and Devon Harris; Rize Events & Rum Vagrants led by Joel Lakatoo and Sheldon Alexander; and Fonclaire Steel Orchestra under Gene Harrison.
The shutdown also disrupted a Pan on D Move competition organised by the Skiffle Bunch Pan Theatre on Coffee Street, where several steel orchestras had been scheduled to perform. One organiser said thousands of dollars had been spent preparing for the competition, including transportation, tuning and logistics.
A Night Mas competition on Harris Promenade was also affected.
As news of the shutdown spread, social media lit up with criticism.
Claire Gloria Sandy wrote: “No respect for South people, so many people came out just to hear pan. This need to stop. We the citizens of San Fernando wants the same respect given to PoS after all we are the second City of this Country.”
Akallia Bruno commented: “Every year it’s the same thing that’s why I stopped playing midnight mas because police even stops the truck and let the dj turn off the music.”
Anjanie Pancham questioned whether directives had been issued to “lock down Carnival,” noting that many visitors plan and spend thousands of dollars annually to attend.
Candice Snell-Hamilton described the move as “a total disrespect to band leaders, masquerades, spectators, even vendors,” saying many had invested heavily despite limited funding.
However, a senior police officer said security concerns had prompted the early closure, noting that similar action has been taken in the past when threats arise.
Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro had warned that a “security blanket” would be in effect across the country for Carnival and warned that officers would act decisively against anyone attempting to bring weapons into festivities.
Despite the early end of Midnight Mas, Parris said this year’s celebrations saw increased participation, with 17 bands and an estimated 8,000 patrons on Harris Promenade for J’Ouvert, and more than 13,000 people in the city overall. He maintained the city’s events were largely incident-free. T&T had been under a State of Emergency since mid-2025, but it was lifted two weeks before Carnival.
Details of the high-level threat have not been made public.
