Lead Editor–Politics
akash.samaroo@cnc3.co.tt
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar says she initially withheld full details about the presence of United States military personnel in Tobago because it was a sensitive national security matter. However, she added that following persistent questioning from the media, that security advantage has now been compromised.
The works at the ANR Robinson International Airport were apparently so sensitive in nature that when Guardian Media asked why the Chief Secretary was not informed earlier about the installation of a radar system, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar replied, “The Chief Secretary is not a member of the National Security Council and therefore was not informed.”
Pressed on this position, the Prime Minister underscored that Farley Augustine has responsibility for Tobago’s affairs and initially appeared ill-prepared for questions by the media about the radar system.
However, the Prime Minister reiterated her answer that Augustine is not on the National Security Council, and that is why he was not informed.
Offering further information on the purpose of the radar system, the Prime Minister said yesterday, “The Radar is for real-time monitoring and surveillance of our air and sea territory. When we entered government, we found an existing radar system that was functioning sporadically and inefficiently and did not provide cover for our entire territory.”
Persad-Bissessar added, “Our Coast Guard could not even access data in real time, in addition to the system being compromised. I requested assistance for the supply of a radar system from the US Embassy on a temporary basis until we could get a permanent replacement for the existing system.”
On Wednesday, when a C-17 Globemaster with the words Air Force emblazoned on its side was spotted at Tobago’s airport, a picture of the aeroplane was circulated widely on social media, with several citizens questioning its purpose.
Later that day, outside the Red House, the Prime Minister explained that the aircraft had brought in US marines to assist in constructing a roadway. At the time, she said that, to her knowledge, there were no longer any marines in the country. However, US marines were later seen at a popular hotel in Tobago. The day after, the Prime Minister clarified that following further inquiries, she had been informed that marines were still in Tobago and were assisting with work on the runway, roadway, and radar system at Tobago’s airport.
When asked why these details were not given on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said it was an intentional omission in the interest of national security.
“Since it is a sensitive national security issue which provides for the protection of our territory and citizens, I did not think it was wise on Wednesday outside the Parliament to publicly broadcast to narco and human traffickers, as well as other criminals, that we were installing a radar. It would be counterproductive to our citizens’ safety,” the Prime Minister explained.
Persad-Bissessar said, however, that persistent questions from the media made it difficult to maintain that position.
“But since Guardian Media has already exposed this sensitive national security upgrade to local and transnational criminals, there is no reason anymore to not confirm. The security advantage has been lost.”
Meanwhile, the Prime Minister revealed that there are about 100 US military personnel in Tobago, but added, “the number fluctuates as needed.”
And despite US President Donald Trump declaring that land strikes against Venezuela will start “very soon”, the Prime Minister sought to dismiss concerns that the radar system would be used as a US asset in that effort.
“The radar is solely for the monitoring and surveillance of our territory. The radar is not for use in any action in Venezuela.”
Persad-Bissessar also added that a similar radar system will be constructed with the assistance of the US in Trinidad as well.
“We will also be upgrading radar installations in Trinidad, as well as our military facilities,” she said.
She sought to underscore that these moves are happening with her approval.
The Prime Minister has said on numerous occasions that this country will not be used as a launching pad for any attacks on the people of Venezuela.
She, however, has declined to answer directly if her Government recognises Nicolas Maduro as the legitimate President of Venezuela.
