Lead Editor - Newsgathering
kejan.haynes@guardian.co.tt
The Board of Management of Holy Name Convent, Port-of-Spain, has announced an independent review process following recent public concerns and experiences shared in relation to allegations against principal Sister Renee Hall.
The move comes days after widespread online backlash, where former and current students accused Sister Renee of emotional abuse and mistreatment following a Mother’s Day profile published by Guardian Media, which highlighted her 25-year career at the school and described her “spiritual motherhood” towards students.
The Board said the review committee will be chaired by Vincent Perriera and will include professionals in psychology, industrial relations, compliance, governance, and institutional leadership.
It added that Lucent Research has been engaged as an independent third party to support the secure collection and management of information and submissions as part of the process.
The review will allow relevant parties to confidentially share concerns, experiences, and any information considered material to the inquiry. The Board said details of the confidential submission process and related procedures will be communicated once finalised.
What began as an inspirational Mother’s Day feature by Guardian Media quickly escalated into widespread criticism on social media, with hundreds of users—many claiming to be past and present students—posting allegations ranging from emotional distress to systemic mistreatment.
The allegations sparked national discussion, with an online petition calling for Sister Renee’s removal attracting more than 1,000 signatures.
In an update following its May 12 statement, the Board said an Independent Review Committee, separate from both the Board and school administration, has now been formally established.
It said it recognises the seriousness of the concerns being raised publicly and acknowledged the strong emotions surrounding the matter.
“The wellbeing, dignity, and holistic development of students remain of paramount importance,” the Board said, adding that it is committed to ensuring the process is handled responsibly, fairly, independently, and with due sensitivity.
The Board said the findings of the review will guide any further steps deemed necessary.
Holy Name Convent’s Board had previously stated that the inquiry would be conducted independently of both the Board and the leadership of the Dominican Sisters of St Catherine of Siena, and would adhere to the protocols of the Ministry of Education and the Teaching Service Commission.
It also urged that current students channel any complaints through existing processes, while encouraging others to participate through the procedures to be outlined in the forthcoming investigation.
The Board reiterated its commitment to transparency, accountability, student wellbeing, and due process, while remaining guided by the values on which Holy Name Convent, Port-of-Spain, was founded, including truth, compassion, dignity, and service.
