Former prime minister Dr Keith Rowley is again challenging the United National Congress (UNC) to identify the offence or conduct it believes would justify the United States revoking his visa and that of former prime minister and Opposition MP Stuart Young.
Speaking with Guardian Media yesterday, Rowley said he never claimed that either visa had been revoked in a Facebook post on Monday, but questioned the basis for the UNC’s previous call for sanctions against him and Young.
“I never said or indicated that my visa or Young’s visa was revoked. I have no problem with my visa,” Rowley said.
“Now that the US has indicated the wide categories of offences for which revocation is applicable, I simply asked the UNC lackeys which one of those categories they thought applied to me and Young to warrant their call for sanctions and loss of visa. Let them answer that.”
Rowley said if the UNC could not identify a category of offence, its previous call for action against him and Young would amount to “pure malice and mischief without a basis.”
He linked the issue to his administration’s dealings with Venezuelan officials, including Acting President Delcy Rodriguez and former president Nicolas Maduro, accusing the UNC of now taking a different approach to Venezuela.
“They were simply pandering to the US authorities hoping to punish us for having contact and relations with Delcy Rodriguez and Maduro of the Government of Venezuela,” Rowley said.
He also accused the Government of taking credit for energy initiatives that, he said, were started under the former People’s National Movement (PNM) administration.
“Getting credit is one thing but telling lies to steal credit is embarrassing and despicable,” Rowley said, while asking: “Including, who are you talking to in Venezuela?”
Political analyst Dr Bishnu Ragoonath said Rowley was entitled to ask questions but said he could not determine why the UNC had called for action against Rowley and Young.
Ragoonath pointed to the controversy surrounding Rodriguez’s visit to Trinidad and Tobago during the COVID-19 period, saying there had been concerns about the relationship between the then PNM government and Venezuelan officials who were subject to US sanctions.
On whether the Government was being hypocritical by now engaging Venezuela, Ragoonath said he was not aware of Trinidad and Tobago having sent a delegation to Venezuela to negotiate oil and gas matters.
He also stressed that visa decisions ultimately rested with the US.
“Anybody and everybody could make the same statement,” Ragoonath said, adding that the key question was who had influence over US decision-making.
Political analyst Dr Shane Mohammed took a different view, arguing that Rowley’s statement could itself have created the impression that his visa had been revoked.
Mohammed described Rowley’s challenge as a “hypothetical question” about something that had not happened.
“He’s asking a question, a hypothetical question. That’s what he’s doing,” Mohammed said.
He also rejected Rowley’s comparison between the former government’s dealings with Venezuela and the current administration’s engagement, arguing that international circumstances had changed.
Mohammed said Rowley’s administration had dealt with Maduro’s government primarily from a regional perspective, without sufficiently considering the wider geopolitical context.
He also dismissed Rowley’s claims about the Government taking credit for energy-sector initiatives, saying if the former administration had laid the foundations for current projects, it had failed to communicate those plans effectively to the public.
Mohammed said the political circumstances had since changed and argued that the current Government had made what he considered strategically appropriate moves.
On Rowley’s challenge over the visas, Mohammed said the issue was politically significant only because it had not actually occurred.
“If the answer to all of those questions is no, then you’re talking nonsense,” he said, suggesting Rowley was using the issue as a political distraction.
