Anna-Lisa Paul
Senior Reporter
anna-lisa.paul@guardian.co.tt
The seven police officers who were arrested in connection with the disappearance of three firearms and a quantity of ammunition from the Central Police Station (CPS) on St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, on August 10, have all been released.
While no charges have been laid against anyone, senior police officials yesterday confirmed that even though the investigation was continuing, some of the officers had been reassigned within the Division.
The official declined to reveal which officers had been transferred and to what stations, but indicated they were to resume work as normal.
The group, which included one acting sergeant, two acting corporals and four constables, were on duty when the arms and ammunition were discovered missing.
The official said the officers were released “at intervals” on Saturday and Sunday.
The missing items include three Glock pistols, three magazines and 45 rounds of .9 mm ammunition.
The items had been lodged for safekeeping by municipal police officers attached to the Port-of-Spain Division last Monday, and a firearms check last Tuesday revealed they were missing.
The discovery comes almost four months after the armoury at the San Fernando Municipal Police Station was found emptied of arms and ammunition.
The empty vault was discovered on April 19, at the same time the body of Cpl Anuska Eversley was found in the station at King’s Wharf, Lady Hailes Avenue.
Following that incident, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) initiated a firearms audit to determine the number of firearms and ammunition that were stolen. The audit is yet to be completed.
Municipal police officers were subsequently instructed to lodge their firearms at police stations, as stricter security measures were put in place by the TTPS to ensure accountability.
Contacted yesterday, head of the T&T Municipal Police Service (TTMPS) Wayne Mystar declined to comment as an investigation was underway.
Snr Supt Thom seeks help to find missing weapons
Snr Supt of the Port-of-Spain Division Raymond Thom has issued a special appeal for the public’s help.
While he agreed that the weapons could not have gone missing without some level of cooperation by at least one police officer, he urged members of the public to come forward if they have any information on the missing arms and ammunition.
“We intend to get back the firearms and persons responsible must be charged and placed before the Court,” Thom said.
He said meticulous investigations were being done to “ensure the right person, the one who is responsible for larceny of the firearm, is the person who will be brought before the Court.”
Thom assured the public that the TTPS was working hard to gain public trust and confidence, and it was counterproductive when persons tasked with the responsibility of doing this were “engaging in criminal activity.”
He said there was a zero-tolerance approach for lawmen who would break the trust of fellow officers as well as the public and bring the integrity of the TTPS into disrepute.
Thom promised those responsible would face the full brunt of the law and would be dealt with accordingly.
