House Speaker Jagdeo Singh is expected to rule on whether the Opposition's motions of privilege against the Prime Minister and Attorney General, as well as a similar motion by Government MP Barry Padarath against PNM's Colm Imbert, meet the threshold to be referred to Parliament's Privileges Committee for investigation.
Singh indicated this during Wednesday's Lower House sitting. He spoke briefly about the motions he had received when Imbert asked him about his motion. Imbert has filed this motion against Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
Singh said he had received the three matters of privilege from PNM Arouca Lopinot MP Marvin Gonzales, Diego Martin North East MP Imbert, and Couva South MP Barry Padarath, Leader of House Business. Two arrived at 1 pm on Wednesday, and one after 11 am that morning. "Those—I have not had time to consider. I will defer my decision on whether or not it meets the threshold to a later date," Singh added.
The House meets this afternoon.
Earlier this week, Gonzales and Imbert spoke about what they described as "offensive" comments by the Prime Minister and Attorney General during Parliament's November 21 sitting.
Imbert alluded to an incident in which the Prime Minister allegedly told him not to point at her and allegedly threatened to "cuff him down" when he asked why. He denied Padarath's claim that he had been making remarks to her. PNM officials said Imbert's motion deals with that issue.
Padarath's motion, seeking a Privileges Committee probe of Imbert, alleged "molestation and menacing behaviour" towards the Prime Minister. Padarath's letter detailed Imbert's pointing "in an intimidating, threatening manner" and alluded to "aggression" when the Prime Minister asked Imbert to cease his "untoward action."
Padarath claimed the incident was not isolated but was a continuation of aggressive behaviour during Imbert's contribution on the bill.
He said one of the fundamental individual privileges and immunities offered to MPs is freedom from obstruction, interference, intimidation, and molestation. "It is clear the unparliamentary and offensive actions undertaken by the Member for Diego Martin North East against the Member for Siparia is a clear act of molestation and an act to intimidate," he claimed.
Gonzales's motion, seeking to have the Attorney General investigated by the Privileges Committee, focuses on an alleged homophobic remark by the AG captured on an active ("hot") microphone. It has been reported that a Government member said, “Hush yuh mouth, boy. Go and take yuh lil man.” It is unknown who the remark was directed to.
Gonzales's letter requesting the probe claimed that a prima facie case of breach of privilege had been established. He said the remarks amount to contempt of the House: "It is language that is contemptuous, demeaning, insulting, and wholly incompatible with the standards of conduct expected in this House. It interferes with the work, dignity, and authority of the House."
"Disrespectful and contemptuous language diminishes the standing of the House in the eyes of the public. When behaviour of this nature is broadcast nationally without correction, withdrawal, or apology, it erodes the authority of the institution and undermines public confidence in its proceedings. Statements of this kind create hostility and disrespect within the Chamber and may impede Members in the performance of their parliamentary responsibilities," Gonzales added.
He said the incident must be considered against the backdrop of earlier instances when the AG directed intemperate language and threatening remarks towards MPs, including statements such as “I am coming for you.” He cited former Speaker Bridgid Annisette-George's actions addressing similar conduct, regarding PNM MP Stuart Young's "zammy" remark on an active microphone, which she ruled offensive. Young had apologised to the House.
