Senior Political Reporter
US President Donald Trump and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro spoke by phone last week and discussed a possible meeting, but none has been scheduled, according to the New York Times.
The NYT cited information from people with knowledge of the situation. The report said both presidents discussed the possibility of meeting “in the US”, but no date has been set.
This comes as the Trump administration continues to increase military pressure on Venezuela. On Thursday, Trump told US troops that military bombing strikes would begin on land in Venezuela very soon.
Reports quoted Trump as saying, “You probably noticed that people aren’t wanting to be delivering by sea, and we’ll be starting to stop them by land.....Also the land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon.”
Since the US administration began its mission against drug cartels in early September, a situation which Venezuela and others view as cover for regime change in Venezuela, US forces have carried out strikes against more than 20 alleged Venezuelan drug-smuggling vessels in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean. More than 80 people have so far been killed.
Last weekend, US media reported that a new phase of Venezuela-related operations was beginning, which could include the deployment of covert units.
Meanwhile, the Movement for Social Justice (MSJ) and allied groups will hold a second Vigil for Peace next Sunday at Woodford Square, Port-of-Spain, warning that recent developments have made the issue urgent. The call comes after US President Donald Trump’s warning that land strikes in Venezuela could begin “very soon.”
The first vigil, held three weeks ago, urged the Caribbean to remain a zone of peace amid rising US–Venezuela tensions. Since then, the MSJ noted the arrival of the USS Gerald Ford and its flotilla, repeated US Marine deployments to Trinidad and Tobago, offloading of military equipment in Tobago, and destroyers in the Gulf of Paria.
The group also highlighted the visit of General Dan Caine, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff. “Which could not have been to eat doubles,” the MSJ said.
Expressing concern over the Prime Minister’s explanations on US troops in Tobago and the airport radar installation, the MSJ added: “This is likely the radar system the US requested Grenada install at the Maurice Bishop International Airport, which has not been approved. Was its installation in Tobago requested by General Caine? The US President is close to deciding on an attack on Venezuela, and General Caine’s visit assessed US preparedness for that action.”
The MSJ warned that US military assets in Tobago make the island a potential target for Venezuela. “The possibility of war is growing rapidly,” the group said. “Government decisions have made Trinidad and Tobago a war ally of the US, endangering citizens, fisherfolk, and businesses. Yet officials have refused a clear, honest statement, offering trivial explanations about doubles and road paving at Tobago’s airport.”
