Chairman of the Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott) Noel Garcia said by February, next year the controversial Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Tarouba would be ready for cricket.
Completion work on the controversial venue restarted under the present government after the building was left idle for several years needing completion before it could be occupied.
In 2005, a $275 million contract was awarded for the construction of the stadium. However, the cost ballooned to $885 million with several delays, which resulted in the project being halted in 2010.
The facility, named after legendary West Indian cricketer Brian Lara, was supposed to be finished in time for the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup in the Caribbean.
In November 2015, during a tour f the facility, Sport Minister Darryl Smith said the stadium would be ready by mid-2016.
In giving a progress report on the stadium, Garcia said by January 31, work on the academy will be completed and in February the public would be able to enjoy the first cricket match at the venue.
"So far the project has been under budget. Udecott has spent to date under $73 million. But you never know because there is always contingency. So let us put it this way. Up to now we are within budget and time. We are planning to have an international 20/20 match in the middle of February as an official opening," Garcia said.
He said one of the things the Government must ensure was that the stadium be used for commercial use.
"We still have the other objective with it being a training academy. However, we can also keep an eye on the commercial aspect of it."
Garcia said the stadium would be an alternative to the Queen's Park Oval, in Port-of-Spain.
"It engenders what I call healthy competition." He said next July, the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) wants to host a match at the venue.
Leaving the building unattended for six years, Garcia said resulted in significant damage to its fixtures and furniture.
"People vandalised the place so all the electrical cables were stolen."
He said of the $90 million budgeted to do refurbishment works, the civil the building works took the largest chunk.
"Just to replace the electrical cables cost Udecott between $6 to $9 million alone. This was the most expensive part of the work to date."
Installation of 10,000 seats, which are scheduled to arrive on January 27, would be installed by February 15, Garcia said.
"Other additional works to be completed by February 15, include the digital scoreboard, which is being sourced from outside, the turnstiles and the landscaping of the entrance to the stadium," Garcia said.
Civil works, decorative fencing, structural works, security fencing, handrails, guard booths, roofing repairs, upgrade of the playing field and installation of new pitches have already been completed.
"The following packages have been completed but require commissioning after re-connection of permanent power to the stadium by T&TEC, refurbishments of the fire, potable, irrigation and sewer pumps, three standby generators, the installation of all speakers for audio media, all air-conditioning units and access control and CCTV cameras."
With work coming to a close, Garcia said he always felt that leaving the stadium incomplete would have been a waste of $800 million of taxpayers money, while the building would have ended up as a scrap heap.
"So it was always my and Udecott's intention to finish the project and put it into the use for the benefit of the people of T&T. I really question people's patriotism when they could advocate that you abandon a project simply because of somebody they don't like. We really have to stop this partisan and third world approach...that if the PNM start something and the UNC come into power they must stop it and vice versa."
Garcia said at the end of the day, the players on the field are not concerned if it is a UNC or PNM ball or bat. "What they are concerned, is that, the facility is up to world-class standards."