Tobago Correspondent
Veteran Tobago bandleader Marcellin Nedd has described the 2026 national celebrations on the island as the “worst ever.”
In an interview with Guardian Media yesterday, Nedd accused the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) of undermining the national festival and diverting all resources towards the October celebration.
Chief Secretary Farley Augustine has repeatedly said the aim is to move away from the national event and focus on the October carnival as the flagship event.
However, Nedd, who heads Marcellin Nedd & Associates, said bandleaders and the public were left frustrated owing to a lack of funding, inadequate advertising and poor organisation, and she believes this was all deliberate.
“It was very stressful,” she said.
“For me, this was one of my worst Carnival. It is 24 years I am doing this on my own, and it was not good—very stressful.
“For this year, I can tell you the participation was not good. Last year it was better. Persons were saying they ain’t hearing anything about Carnival. It was not advertised. When you hear the conflict...stressing on Tobago having its two Carnival and National Carnival Commission giving money, it just throw a damper.”
She added, “The administration that we have here keeps shifting the goalposts. They just can’t get it right.”
On February 2, Tobago Festivals Commission CEO Kern Cowan announced a $7.5 million allocation for this year’s celebration—an increase from the $5.8 million budgeted in 2025. However, Nedd claimed bandleaders did not receive what they were promised. She said the grants to bands were not only insufficient but late.
“You come and say a large band is $11,000—yuh give $3,300. How much can that do? In junior bands, you have persons getting $1,700 from a grant. That not good enough. If yuh say yuh giving a grant, give ah grant,” Nedd said.
“It was in a hot mess. One minute they say we will get the assistance, we will get the full amount. Then yuh come and give us (less) on the day in question. We get the money the week of Carnival.”
Asked whether the national celebration in Trinidad on a grander scale naturally overshadows Tobago’s equivalent, Nedd said both cater to different markets.
“You have persons who don’t like the Trinidad Carnival but they prefer to come and play with a Tobago band. It has its ups and downs.”
On the actual organisation of the festivities, Nedd said there was chaos surrounding the time for Kiddies Carnival this year, with the schedule continuously being changed.
“You can’t be telling us Carnival Saturday, Kiddies Carnival is 1 pm-6 pm, then yuh hearing 10 am-2 pm, then it went from 10 am-4 pm. Come on...It was a whole hullabaloo.”
Nedd said the THA was out of touch and urged greater consultation with Carnival stakeholders.
“They just have a whole set ah people sit down in ah office and they figure they know best. They never make a Carnival costume in their life. Some of them never even play a mas in their life. They will sit there and bad talk the same bandleaders yuh want to take part in the events. In a short while, in time to come, October Carnival will come just like Tobago Fest end up—dead in the water.”
Bandleader Jennelle Eastman, of YEN-K World Design in collaboration with Eastman New Creation, meanwhile labelled the THA’s handling of the Carnival as “sabotage.”
“They want to shut it down, that’s why they sabotaging we. They do we real wickedness this year,” Eastman said.
Eastman said many bandleaders were short of funds as cheques were only distributed the Thursday before Carnival. She said despite her best efforts advertising her band on social media up to the week before Carnival, people were still asking whether Tobago was having any celebration. She said bands received just 40 per cent of the funds they were promised.
“They said they would get back to us for traditional mas (funding), but never got back to us. I register for traditional mas but I end up not fighting up. I am not putting myself out of the way for nobody. I could have try to go on the road, but the vibes wasn’t there,” Eastman said.
“This year will be the last year with me and THA and this mas thing. I feel I going in Trinidad.”
She said suppliers in Trinidad are usually very flexible, even with short notice, but she says they will eventually get fed up, leaving Tobago mas in a mess.
Efforts to contact Augustine, Tourism Secretary Zorisha Hackett and Cowan for a response to the bandleaders’ concerns were unsuccessful up to press time.
