Tobago Correspondent
Trinibad artistes glorifying gun violence will not be featured in this year’s Tobago Carnival.
The decision follows a suggestion by police during a meeting with the Tobago Promoters Association to discuss the safe execution of this year’s festival.
Tobago Carnival officially gets underway from October 30 to November 1, but the island will be bustling with activity throughout the month.
While not privy to the meeting, Senior Superintendent Rodhill Kirk told Guardian Media yesterday that, based on his observations, he agreed with the outcome.
He said there was a link between violent lyrics and aggressive responses from listeners.
“When you go out and observe it yourself, as soon as some songs come on, people get hyped based on the lyrical content. People react to it,” he said.
Last year’s Tobago Carnival was incident-free, with 150 additional officers from Trinidad deployed to enhance security.
Kevon McKenna, head of the Tobago Promoters Association, said his membership is willing to do their part to ensure a safe and successful carnival.
“In meeting with the head of the Tobago arm of the police service, we would have asked them what are some of the recommendations or challenges they have been having. So, one such thing was to minimise the promotion of these gang songs. To that, of course, we agreed. We are ensuring we do our part in keeping it positive,” he said.
McKenna said stakeholders want the Carnival to promote the right type of energy. However, he noted that it is ultimately the responsibility of promoters to instruct their DJs to enforce restrictions on certain songs.
Two-time defending Soca Titans champion Jaheim Thomas, aka Verrse, endorsed the approach, adding that lyrics definitely influence people.
Asked what mood he tries to inject into his music, he said positivity and fun so listeners can ease their stress.
Seventh-day Adventist Pastor Clive Dottin applauded the promoters for their stance, but urged authorities to take it a step further and ban violent lyrics from the radio.
“It should not be for the festival alone but right through, every day of the year,” he said.
Dottin said violence is pervading society and believes music is contributing to the social ill.
He said in some communities people are at risk simply because of their attire.
The pushback against violence in songs has been stronger over the last few years, with several Caribbean nations refusing entry to certain performers.
Trinibad star Kashif Sankar, also known as Kman, recently dropped the “6ixx” from his stage name and denied all gang affiliation.
Kman was barred from entering and performing in St Kitts and Dominica due to national security concerns.
Joseph Ollivierre, aka Medz Boss, of Beetham Gardens, was denied entry into Guyana to perform earlier this year.
In 2022, Guyana banned Jamaican Joseph Douglas, aka Skeng, from performing at public events after gunshots rang out during his performance at the Baderation concert in Georgetown.
