The country’s most wanted man, described by police as very dangerous and a suspect in several murders dating back to 2016, was arrested in an Operation Strike Back anti-crime police exercise over the weekend.
Acting in intelligence received, officers led by ACP Mc Donald Jacob went an apartment in D’abadie and arrested the 30-year-old suspect. They said they found in his possession a loaded Glock 17 pistol, an extended magazine clip containing eight rounds of 9 mm ammunition and a sock with 32 rounds of 9 mm ammunition.
A release from the T&T Police Service (TTPS) yesterday confirmed that the most wanted man, who originally lived at Amaralis Drive, La Horquetta, had been taken into custody. He is expected to be placed in several identification parades this week.
Police sources told the Guardian Media he is the main suspect in several drive-by shootings in the D’abadie area in which more than 13 people have been killed since 2016.
The TTPS also confirmed that two reputed gang leaders from the Port-of-Spain area detained by police during the intelligence and evidence led operations last week have been charged for various offences. However, three others—Cedric “Burkie” Burke, his son Revaldo Burke and Akani “Dole” Adams—who were held on Friday morning in connection with gang activities and shootings were released from police custody at about 9 am yesterday. Writs of habeas corpus filed on their behalf by their attorneys in the Port-of-Spain High Court before Judge Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell were served on Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith close to midnight on Saturday.
Also on Friday, writs of habeas corpus were filed on behalf of Anthony “Boombay” Boney and Quincy Felix and they were released at about 9 am on Saturday. All five men were among 33 people detained for gang-related activities since Wednesday in the Port-of-Spain, Beetham Gardens and Sea Lots areas.
The TTPS said since the detention of these individuals “there was not a homicide, shooting or wounding attributed to gang-related activity.” In the five days prior to TTPS red alert, there were 22 gang-related incidents, including murders and shootings.
CoP Griffith commended officers of the Northern and Port-of-Spain Divisions for their dedication and hard work which made the arrests possible.
The special task force included officers of the Special Operations Response Team, Guard and Emergency Branch, Canine Unit, Inter-Agency Task Force, Northern Division Criminal Investigations Department, the Northern and Port-of-Spain Division Task Force and the Organised Crime and Intelligence Unit.
Investigations are continuing.