You are here
Shillingford suspended, Samuels quickie banned
DUBAI—The ICC has suspended Shane Shillingford, the West Indies offspinner, from bowling in international cricket after his action was found illegal. His team-mate Marlon Samuels, who is a part-time offspinner, has been prohibited from bowling quicker deliveries in international cricket.
The pair was reported for suspect action on November 16, during the second Test against India in Mumbai. They underwent biomechanical analysis in Perth on November 29, before the start of the series against New Zealand.
Shillingford has taken six wickets at 42.66 in the first two Tests against New Zealand but will now not be available for the final match in Hamilton which starts on Thursday. Samuels has not bowled in the current series.
An ICC statement said that an independent biomechanical analysis had revealed that for both Shillingford’s standard off-break delivery and his doosra, the amount of elbow extension in his bowling action exceeded the 15 degrees’ level of tolerance permitted under the ICC regulations. Shillingford will remain suspended until he submits a fresh analysis that proves his action has been corrected.
Earlier this week, when asked about the pending report, West Indies coach Ottis Gibson said he was confident Shillingford would be cleared. “There are a few people around the world bowling with similar, if not worse actions, so I expect him to be cleared for sure.”
Meanwhile, the analysis on Samuels’ action revealed that the spinner’s standard off-break delivery was legal but the quicker delivery exceeded the prescribed levels of tolerance.
If Samuels is reported for a suspect action in the next two years, the ICC will take note of it as a second report and the player will have to undergo a biomechanical analysis. If the analysis concludes that Samuels has an illegal action for any delivery, he will be banned from bowling in international cricket for a minimum period 12 months.
Shillingford had earlier been suspended from bowling in international cricket in December 2010, a month after being reported for a suspect bowling action on West Indies’ tour of Sri Lanka. He underwent remedial action on his bowling and was cleared by the ICC in June 2011. (CMC)
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.