You are here

Njisane admits he was afraid

Sunday, January 12, 2014

National cyclist Njisane Phillip says he is glad to be out of hospital, alive and at home with his family following a seven-day medical ordeal. Doctors at the Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center in California, USA, to his absolute delight, gave him the green light to resume training, too.  Phillip was anxious to get back on the track and continue to make this country proud. But he admitted that during his time as hospital he was terrified. “I was afraid because for a few days I was in extreme pain and doctors couldn’t give me an answer to what it was or what’s causing it,” he said in a Facebook interview. According to a release from SporTT yesterday, Phillip is reported to have expressed thanks for being given a second chance and a new lease on life. “When we were unsure what was happening. I could not believe that my cycling career may have been over. I cannot express how happy I am that I can still compete, and so soon. The love and support I received from family, friends, fellow athletes and fans is something I won’t ever forget. It is what drives me. Thank you all!”



On Wednesday, it was confirmed that both Phillip’s kidneys were swollen, following an examination. The swelling was reportedly caused due to blockage of his urinal tract. Doctors performed a battery of tests to find the cause of his ailment. Phillip said specialists still could not identify a specific development that caused him to be admitted and ultimately warded. Successful results from a Lasix renal scan, as well as steadily dropping creatinine levels, performed by his medical team headed by nephrologist Dr Steven Sawelson and urologist Dr Timothy Lesser, however, saw Phillip discharged late Friday. “I still have to do testing in the coming weeks to figure out what really went wrong. I am thankful to get another chance and just get to ride my bike.” On January 2, Phillip said, “I had a great training session then it took a turn for the worst.”


Phillip departed local shores on December 29 bound for the US—State of California, following a visit home for the Christmas holidays. While in T&T, he attended the Spirit of Sports Awards (SOSA) held on December 28 at Queen’s Hall in St Ann’s, Port-of-Spain. The event was a production of the Ministry of Sport and the Sport Company of T&T. Back in November, the T&T Cycling Federation hailed him as its Athlete of the Year 2013. It was not the first time he had received this honour. Phillip was out of the country at the time of the awards, but said that he felt great to have again received the title. He related that last year for him was a slow year and admitted that his biggest challenge was getting back to racing and being motivated. On his return to the US, Phillip was supposed to aggressively resuming training ahead of the UCI Track World Championships in Colombia scheduled to start on February 26, before his sudden ailment.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.