Economist Dr Terrence Farrell, who resigned as the chairman of the Economic Development Advisory Board (EDAB) earlier this year, does not expect the non-energy sector to grow in 2018 and 2019.
You are here
Bassarath lauds Nagico Super50 cricket success
The recent Nagico Super50 limited overs regional cricket tournament has been declared a resounding success despite hosts Trinidad and Tobago losing an exciting final against traditional rivals Barbados on Saturday at the Queen’s Park Oval in Port-of-Spain.
And president of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (T&TCB) Azim Bassarath said on Monday that he was looking forward to the next two editions of the regional tournament which will be staged in T&T when the home team will get the opportunity to redeem themselves.
“The tournament was indeed a great success in its planning and execution. I think new sponsors Nagico Insurances would be proud at how everything was run and we are confident that their vote of confidence would go a long way in ensuring that the other two tournaments in 2015 and 2016 would exceed our expectations,” said Bassarath.
The T&TCB chief, who also assumed control of the International Matches Committee which organised the tournament also heaped praises on the T&T cricket fans who showed their support for cricket throughout the two and a half week tournament.
“We are really proud of the response of the T&T public to the Cricket Carnival as we dubbed it. The crowds came out and showed their love for the Red Force whenever they played and we are especially delighted at the way they came out to make the final on Saturday a ‘Red Day’ complying with the request of the Cricket Board to wear something red in support of the home team,” said Bassarath.
He also said that there were also great benefits to be derived from T&T hosting the Super50 tournament as ESPN, the US sports cable television network carried the matches live and were seen throughout the world bringing a level of international exposure never before afforded the country.
“The Ministry of Trade and Investment featured prominently during the broadcast of the matches and we are more than likely to reap the dividends of the investment made when foreign companies and investors visit here after seeing what T&T has to offer,” said Bassarath.
Though disappointed that T&T did not lift the trophy Bassarath said he was pleased with the standard of play demonstrated by the regional cricketers and complimented the ground-staff of the Queen’s Park Oval for maintaining the playing surface which took a battering with matches every day.
He also said that T&T was blessed with great weather throughout the tournament as there was no serious interruption because of rain which enabled all matches to be completed without the intervention of the dreaded Duckworth/Lewis Method to determine winners.
He also commented on the chaos that prevailed for a short while on Saturday when ticketholders for the final experienced some difficulty to gaining entry into the Oval when security officials decided to close the gates because of the growing crowd.
“At that point it was clear that there were available seats in the Carib Beer, Cyril Duprey and the BGTT/Scotiabank Stands. However, we were satisfied that the situation was resolved with some alacrity due to the intervention of Minister of National Security Gary Griffith,” said Bassarath.
The minister, who was a guest of the T&TCB president at Saturday’s final sprung into action when apprised of the developing crisis and after consultation with the respective security heads and Oval management instructed that fans be allowed to come into the terraced area in front of the now demolished Errol Dos Santos Stand.
Bassarath was also commended by visiting journalists covering the tournament for the excellent arrangements that were made for them regarding accommodation, refreshments and meals and internet access to perform their jobs without any inconvenience.
They said that memories of the Nagico Super50 and the kind hospitality of the T&T public will always remain with them and would be reflected in what they wrote in the future about the twin-island republic.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.