Last update: 23-Apr-2014 5:32 am
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Trinidad & Tobago Guardian Online
You are here
Tributes pour in for Carter
Tributes poured in yesterday for deceased national footballer Kevon Carter, who passed away this morning after suffering a heart attack while in training with the Defence Force Football club. “No words can really describe how we feel about the death of another one of our sons, a young man who was vibrant and was a valuable member of our country’s national team,” TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee said. “I was indeed very shocked when I received the news earlier today and this will be a most difficult period for his family, his teammates, his friends and we must support them in whatever way possible. Losing someone, especially in such circumstances is never something that is easy to handle. His family and everyone else close to him are in our thoughts and prayers.”
National coach Stephen Hart said: “Kevon will be a definite loss on and off the field. He’s been in my squad going back to the Gold Cup last year and of course over a period of time dealing with players, you get to know them better and this is indeed very sad and sudden loss for us.” Former national coach and player Russell Latapy, who was at the helm of the senior team when Carter was a member, said that the player had true potential.
“I would like to express condolences to his family and friends. I got the news in Scotland just after midday and it was fact a shocker for me. He was a player at the time with great potential and lots of pace. He will definitely be missed,” Latapy said. English-based winger Carlos Edwards, a former Defence Force player himself, also expressed shock.
“It’s unbelievable to me at this time. Another Defence Force player and teammate who I enjoyed being around and playing with. I cannot begin to imagine what everyone close to him may be going through right now. It shows us that life is precious on and off the football field. He got into difficulty doing what he loved most and we have to remember him for what he was,” Edwards said. Notts County midfielder Andre Boucaud met Carter for the first time last year during the team’s tour to Romania and Estonia. He was deeply saddened. “I knew him for that short space of time but obviously we had spent a lot of time together for the friendlies and the Gold Cup and so on. He was always a very cool and decent individual. I think his loss a terrible one. And for us as footballers, it’s frightening to some extent because you’re seeing guys just popping up with this kind of medical problem that has proven to be fatal. We’ve got to be extremely careful about everything we do as athletes now,” said the 29-year-old.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.