As the protests against some of the measures announced in the 2017-2018 Budget reached to the doorstep of the Minister of Finance on the Divali holiday last week, one could not help but wonder...
You are here
Nero wins Caricom 10k
For the third successive year, T&T international runner Tonya Nero captured the Women’s Open title at the tenth Caricom 10K road race, which took place in Antigua on Sunday.
Nero, 25, who holds four T&T national records, placed ninth overall in 38:36, well ahead of women’s runner-up Euleen Josiah of Guyana, who clocked 40:48 and Nero’s compatriot Jenelle Nedd (42.03), who took third.
Both Nero and Josiah took champion and runner-up positions, respectively, in 2012 when the Caricom 10K was held in St Lucia. Nero defended her a year later when the event was staged at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.
Nedd was in a promising position to take runner-up for most of the race, but ventured off the course allowing Josiah to overtake her and eventually finish second.
Winning the Men’s Open and overall title was Cleveland Forde of Guyana, who reclaimed his 2012 crown after finishing second to T&T’s Denzil Ramirez last year.
Ramirez did not participate this year.
Forde won the event in 34:52, edging home favourite Elliot Mason (34:59) and Radix Reon (35:17) of Grenada, for second and third, respectively, before T&T’s best finisher, Nicholas Landeau (37:26) placed seventh.
1. Cleveland Forde, Guyana- 34:52
2. Elliot Mason, Antigua- 34:59
3. Radix Reon, Grenada- 35:17
4. Pamenos Ballantyne, St Vincent- 36:13
5. Meshach Bublin, St Vincent- 36:29
6. Kamar Thomas, Antigua- 37:17
7. Nicholas Landeau, T&T- 37:26
8. Darison Joseph, Dominica- 38:32
1. Tonya Nero, T&T- 38:36
2. Euleen Josiah, Guyana- 40:48
3. Jenelle Nedd, T&T- 42:03
4. Linda McDowall, St Vincent- 42:54
5. Kernisha Pascal, Grenada- 43:26
6. Arieta Martin, Jamaica- 44:45
7. Dinnal Julite, Jamaica- 45:14
8. Abbe Davis, Antigua- 49:19