You are here

Santa Rosa sneaks into TTSL lead

Postponement puts Guaya second
Monday, December 4, 2017

FC Santa Rosa crept into the lead in the inaugural edition of the T&T Super League yesterday with a 1-0 win over Police FC at the Arima Velodrome.

However the Big Cannons’ new status as league leaders was only made possible as inclement weather in Tobago forced the postponement of the scheduled clash between 1976 Phoenix FC and former league leaders Guaya United.

Guaya’s charge towards the title has been stalked at every juncture by the only other challengers for the title, FC Santa Rosa, and the Arima-based team would feel as though they have gotten a timely upper hand via their one point lead, moving to 50 points with just one match left to be played in the league campaign.

Santa Rosa got its goal yesterday in the 29th minute, ironically from the boot of former Guaya skipper Ryan ‘Fry’ Stewart.

Following the turn of events, Santa Rosa coach Keith Look Loy who had to watch his team’s match from the stands said, “It was important for us to win, we understood that. We knew that a loss or even a draw by Guaya would open the door for us. They didn’t play but our points are on the board. We are hoping that Phoenix would do a job and if we go into the last match on equal terms with them or ahead, then its all there for the taking.”

Look Loy and his assistant Jovan Rochford were serving a one-match touchline ban handed down by the TTSL Disciplinary Committee for verbal abuse of a match official when they lost to Guaya United 3-1 at the Velodrome almost a month ago.

Meanwhile, Guaya United manager Jameson Rigues was disappointed to have their match postponed considering that the Guaya team arrived in Tobago two days in advance of their assignment, demonstrating their intentions to do everything in their power to capture the title.

However the weather was out of their control. “It was really an unexpected situation. We came here in high spirit and tied up all the loose ends but you cannot predict the forces of nature.” he said.

Rigues added, “A lot of spend would have gone in to this trip to one, make the guys comfortable and two, to make sure that everybody acclimatised properly. The players were looking forward to the match up, not even thinking about Santa Rosa but now that it happened the way that it happened we will just got back to the drawing board and reinforce to the players the importance of the next two matches for us.”

Guaya United’s fixture against Phoenix has tentatively been rescheduled to Thursday December 7 meaning that the Green Army would now be required to play two matches in four days, closing off their campaign against the Defence Force at their home ground in Newlands, Guayaguayare on Sunday December 10, the same day that FC Santa Rosa hosts UTT at the Arima Velodrome.


Club Sando Moruga 6-2
Cunupia FC 3-1 Bether FC
FC Santa Rosa 1-0 Police
1976 Phoenix vs Guaya United (postponed)


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.