This week, I am answering a quick question on makeup choices for the mature woman, a concern that many have when it comes to both looking fashion forward and keeping skin healthy.
Q: I am an older and more mature woman. What advice can you give me on selecting makeup that is appropriate for my age? - AC, Couva
A: As women get older, their skin tends to change and in many cases the skin becomes drier, loses elasticity and firmness and becomes thinner. So as you age, your makeup routine and makeup products should change as well.
• Take care of your skin. Before any makeup routine, mature skins should be well hydrated and moisturised and a regular exfoliation regimen should be followed to eliminate dry patches and overall unevenness. If you do these things you will find that your makeup application will be much easier and you will look much better.
• Select good makeup that’s appropriate for your skin type. Your regimen should consist of a good quality foundation and powder. Liquid foundation tends to be more moisturising, and as makeup continues to get technologically advanced, foundation formulas are filled with good things to help keep your skin nourished. Most makeup lines carry foundations which are an extension of skin care so you can get moisturising makeup, anti-aging makeup, anti-wrinkle makeup, makeup with built in treatments, etc. (This is not a time in life where you should skimp on your makeup.)
• Select colors that are appropriate for you. At this age, makeup should make you look sophisticated and comfortable. Leave the neon blue and pink eye shadow for the 20-somethings. Warm neutrals look best on most people. Stay away from too-trendy colors and extreme shimmery and glittery eye shadows which tend to fall into facial lines and wrinkles.
• Keep the makeup soft and simple. Instead of black eyeliner, try a dark brown. Use a nice lip-gloss that is not overly shiny and glittery. Don’t wear lipstick that is too dark as it tends to age you, but select colours that are a couple shades closer to your natural lip color.
• Lastly, take care of yourself. Your face and eyes tell the story of your life and years, so let your mature self tell a story of confidence and self-assuredness every time someone looks at you.