orange slice or wedge.
2 cups (440g) sugar
1 cup (250ml) oil
2 cups (250g) sifted flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 packed cups grated carrot
1 cup (225g) cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup (100g) butter
1 ¼ cups (220g) icing sugar
• In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy, then gradually add in the
sugar and vegetable oil.
• Add in the grated carrot and mix well.
• In a separate bowl, sift the flour and add the bicarbonate of soda,
salt and cinnamon to it.
• Add the mixed flour to the egg and carrot mixture and fold in well.
• Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan or a round 9 inch or 10 inch baking pan
and pour the batter into it.
• Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cooked. (To test,
insert a skewer into the cake and remove it; if it comes out clean, the
cake is done.)
• Cool the cake for 10 minutes before carefully removing it from the
baking pan, then let it sit on a baking rack to cool properly before icing.
• Place the cream cheese, vanilla, butter and icing sugar in a medium sized bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix all the ingredients together until nice and creamy.
• Place the cooled carrot cake on a flat platter. Using a spatula or large butter knife, spread the icing on the top and sides of the cake. Save any remaining icing to serve on the side.
Serve at room temperature.