Lead concentration at the Guanapo Landfill was up to 75 times more than the acceptable level when samples collected by the Department of Chemistry at the University of the West Indies, St...
You are here
Fashion Q & A: Can you wear jewellery with a one shoulder dress or top?
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Deciding what jewellery to wear with a one shoulder dress depends upon your style. It can be a challenge to accessorise a one shoulder dress. However, there are many different jewellery options to compliment this sophisticated outfit. Despite the beauty of this dress style, it is hard to accessorise. In fact, some fashion magazines recommend not wearing a necklace with these dresses. This can be frustrating for the fashionista who loves jewellery.
Why is the dress so hard to accessorize? The neckline rises higher on the sleeve side of the dress. This makes it difficult to select necklaces that lay properly without getting lost in the dress fabric.
Due to the slanted neckline and single sleeve of a one shoulder dress, you want to steer clear of certain types of costume jewellery. Therefore, avoid wearing the following:
• Pendants and delicate necklaces on thin chains: Pendants and delicate necklaces will lie against the dress fabric and won't show up on the slanted neckline. These types of necklaces may fall under the neckline of the dress as you move around.
• Medium length necklaces: Medium length necklaces that barely cover the dress’s neckline looks out of proportion and may end up falling under the dress fabric.
• Chunky necklaces and earrings: Chunky necklaces and earrings may clash with the elegance of the dress.
• Wooden necklaces: Many wooden necklaces are too casual for dressy one sleeve dresses.
• Arm bracelet misplacement: Do not wear arm bracelets over the sleeve. It won't lay against the arm properly and will cause the material to bunch up.
Jewellery you CAN wear...
• Choker: A choker lays close to the neck without interfering with a slanting neckline. A choker works well with a slender neck and brings attention to the face.
• Y necklace: The structure of the Y necklace with a dangling middle allows you to wear a delicate necklace style without losing it in the dress material.
• Lariat: A lariat's long length allows you to loop it over several times and knot it to the desired effect. Lariats can create a dramatic effect with one shoulder dresses with low backs since part of the necklace can lay on the bare back.
• Long necklace: A long necklace generally works with a one shoulder dress because it hangs low enough to show up without getting lost in dress material. You can double loop a long necklace to make the jewellery more prominent and shorten the length.
• Arm cuff: Choose an arm cuff for your bare arm for an exotic look.
• Post earrings: Post earrings match a simple elegant look.
• Dangle earrings: Dangle earrings may be more appropriate for ornate jewellery accessories.
• Additional jewellery accessories: Wear rings and bracelets, if desired. However, don't pair a wrist bracelet with an arm cuff on the same arm.