Outspoken T&T Super League (TTSL) president Keith Look Loy says he is unhappy with the maladministration of the T&T Football Association.
Look Loy was speaking at a media conference at the Normandie hotel in St Ann’s yesterday, which he called to highlight three major issues facing local football under the leadership of TTFA president David John-Williams.
In his address, Look Loy, who was accompanied by Northern Football Association general secretary and former national youth goalkeeper Rayshawn Mars and Women’s League of Football (WoLF) president Susan Joseph-Warrick, said he was speaking on behalf of five current members of the board who were unhappy with the T&TFA's operations as it pertains to football in the country.
In addition to himself, Mars and Joseph-Warrick, Look Loy said the two other dissatisfied boards members were Central Football Association’s Colin Partap, a lawyer and Joseph Taylor, president of the T&T Referees Association.
The other persons comprising the 13-member T&TFA board are John-Williams, Selby Browne (Veteran Footballers' Foundation of T&T), Southern Football Association president Richard Quan Chan, Tobago Football Association (TFA) president Anthony Moore; interim Eastern Football Association president (EFA) Bandele Kamau; T&TFA vice-president Ewing Davis; Sherqyn Dyer (Eastern Counties Football Union) and Julia Baptiste (T&T Pro League).
Look Loy said on behalf of the five members he was reaching out to the general public to convey their dissatisfaction about some immediate matters in the T&TFA and the general mal-administration of the local board.
He said their major concerns surrounded the entire mishandling of the Under-23 Olympic team's withdrawal from their qualifying campaign, change of sponsorship for the national team from Juma to Capelli Sport and the lack of vision for the women’s football programme.
Joseph-Warrick also issued a press release in which she expressed disappointment at being constantly disregarded by the T&FA in matters related to the women’s national programme, mainly the selection of a women’s team coach.
Reached for comment by Guardian Media Sports, John-Williams once again reiterated his stance regarding the rumours being circulated over the alleged naming of North American-based Stephan De Four as national Under-17, Under-20 and senior women’s coach.
He said: "Please be advised that the TTFA has not employed anyone either contractually or otherwise in the role of national head coach for our Girls Under-17 and Under-20 teams. The activities of anyone perpetuating otherwise are therefore not conducted under the auspices nor instruction of the TTFA."
Asked whether the withdrawal of the Olympic men’s team was ever discussed at board level, the T&TFA boss replied: "Please note that the board of directors discussed the Under-23 and it decided that the board will hold its position of hiring a coach because funding was not available."
Last month, Richard Quan Chan said during a press conference that the TTFA had no funds and no sponsor had stepped forward, so the technical department of the T&TFA had decided the team would be pulled. The TTFA said the board doesn’t decide which competitions T&T plays in or not, but rather the finances of the T&TFA governs that.
Guardian Media Sports was informed that both Look Loy and Joseph-Warrick formed the quorum at the May 6 board meeting and were involved in the discussions on the issues raised. In addition, John-Williams explained: “The meeting discussed that we would engage Mr De Four via discussions with regards to personal terms before we can hire him and the matter must be tabled at the next board meeting which is yet to take place. The personal terms were discussed and were ensuing, however, the meeting agreed that no contract was to be signed or agreed upon before it comes before the board.”