You are here

Kidnap victim, 70, tells of stalking

Saturday, February 22, 2014
Pensioner Joyce Ali, 70, leaves the San Fernando High Court after she gave evidence against accused Rachieal James who is charged with kidnapping and assaulting her. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL

An elderly woman testified yesterday she was stalked and kidnapped by a man while on a trip from the market. Joyce Ali, 70, gave evidence yesterday against Rachieal James, 35, who is charged with kidnapping and assaulting her with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. However, in cross-examination James’ attorney Ainsley Lucky put to her that James had only tried to assist her when she tripped and fell on the pavement. Ali said that was not true.



The State, led by attorneys Angelica Teelucksingh and Trevor Jones, opened its case against James in the San Fernando First Assizes on Thursday. It is alleged that the incident took place on December 23, 2007. During her evidence before Justice Hayden St Clair-Douglas and a nine-member jury, Ali asked for a sweater, which was provided, because she was feeling cold. 



She recalled that around 4.50 am she left her Craignish, Princes Town, home and went to the Princes Town market to sell chadon beni, spanish thyme and ochroes. Ali said she was walking home around 5.30 am when she passed the accused, to whom she said good morning. She noticed him following her. On reaching the tasker road, Ali said, she ran across the road and when her left foot reached the pavement, she said, “all I feel was a hand across my neck and the other hand was holding my mouth.”


The accused, she said, told her he was carrying her to the Tasker Road to kill her. “I say, ‘Oh God doh kill me, I have plenty money, take the money,’” she added. The accused, she said, told her he did not want the money and started choking her with his hands. She pleaded with him not to kill her because she had a sick child. However, Ali said he dragged her for about 100 feet. “I was fighting up, like I did not have no strength, my body was just weak. Then I hear a voice say, ‘let go the lady.’” 


She also heard another voice. Ali said the accused pushed her down but he fell on top of her. She said he ran and two men chased after him. They held him at an old building, tied his hands and feet and called the police, she said. PC David Simon, the charging officer, said when he arrived on the scene he saw the accused tied up and lying on the ground. He untied him, handcuffed him and took him and Ali to the police station.


The State, which called one other witness, WPC Natasha Haynes, closed its case. The trial will continue on Monday.


User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.

Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.

Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.

Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.

Before posting, please refer to the Community Standards, Terms and conditions and Privacy Policy

User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.