Burglar proofing installed to keep bandits out, trapped a homeowner inside her burning house on Wednesday, resulting in her death.
Police said Dhanmatie Aneesha Radhoo, a mother of three, died as a result of smoke inhalation and heart failure.
Radhoo's cousin, Express' senior political reporter Anna Ramdass, posted on Facebook her cousin was raped ten years ago at her home and after the incident the family installed burglar proofing at the house located in St Helena Village, Piarco.
In her Facebook post, Ramdass wrote: "My cousin died tonight. My being cannot accept this loss. Tell me this is a nightmare. Tell me that when the sun rises she will get up to take her daughters–Angelina, 9 and Naomi, 7–to school.
"Tell me the body I saw tonight at the hospital was not hers. Tell me there was no fire, that she was not trapped behind burglar proof windows and doors, that the burnt flesh I saw was not real. That it's untrue, the taps were dry and not a drop of water to kill the flames."
She described the housewife as a "giver in life" who suffered in the past decade having survived the assault in 2006 and most recently a car accident.
"She was selfless, loving and despite her pain she gave and gave and gave. My heart hurts...she loved me so much, she's gone now and I wish I had more time to return the love that embodied her spirit. This simply cannot be," Ramdass stated.
According to police, around 11 pm Wednesday night fire officials received a report of a fire at the Radhoo's residence. Radhoo, who turned 43 last June, was trapped inside.
Fire and police officials eventually rescued her and took her to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Centre where she died.
Ramdass added Radhoo's relatives and neighbours were forced to look on helplessly as fire destroyed the home as there was no water in the taps for a bucket brigade.
She said fire officials from the Tunapuna Fire Station took at least an hour to arrive and when relatives of Radhoo went to the Piarco sub-station based at the Piarco International Airport begging for assistance they were turned away.
Up to press time there was no cause for the blaze and fire officials have estimated the damages to be at least $600,000.