Former Minister of National Security, Jack Warner, outside the offices of his Sunshine Newspapers, May 27. Photo: Marcus Gonzales
Fomer Minister of National Security Jack Warner was granted$2.5m bail on12 charges of fraud, racketeering andmoney laundering.
Warner appeared before Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon.
He was represented by Fyard Hosein, Rishi Dass and Nyree Alfonso.
He was ordered to surrender his passport and report to theArouca police station twice weekly. The matter was adjourned to July 9.
According to reports, Warner had earlier surrendered toofficers attached to the Fraud Squad, after a provisional warrant was issued for his arrest on Wednesday.
He is one of several FIFA officialsfacing charges overwidespread corruptionover the past two decades.FIFA is the organisation responsible for the regulation and promotion of football worldwide.
Former Minister of National Security Jack Warner is escorted to the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court, May 27. Photo: Roberto Codallo
According to sources, Warner went to the Office of the Fraud Suad on the corner of Richmond and Park Streets, Port-of-Spain to surrender himself on Wednesday afternoon.
A release fromthe Ministry of the Attorney Generalissued on Wednesday said that the Central Authority hadbeen cooperating with the United States Department of Justice for about a yearregarding Jack Warner.
"Today, the United States of America formally requested the assistance of the Central Authority for the issuing of a Provisional Arrest Warrant for Warner, pending the commencement of extradition proceedings."
The release said that Warner is entitled to a fair extradition process and both the requesting and requested states intend to ensure that his rights are respected.The request was made according to the extradition treaty between the U.S. and T&T governments.