Movietowne will not be closed in spite of the Wednesday’s announcement to suspend in house dining at cinemas, bars and restaurant.
Owner of Movietowne Derek Chin confirmed that its theatres will remain open, but concessions will not be sold.
“Movietowne will remain open from tomorrow and will show movies only,” Chin told the Guardian via text, “Concession stands will be closed in compliance with the new restrictions.”
The announcement comes on the heels of the anticipated release of Mortal Kombat, which is set to open today in cinemas and also set to be streamed on HBOMax which is not officially available in Trinidad and Tobago.
Chin said they will update the public on its operations on a weekly basis.
The company had initially announced it would be closing its theatres for the three-week period, but while they did, their competitors continued to promote the upcoming blockbuster.
CinemaOne, the owner and operators of the IMAX theatre and Gemstone Cinemas, as well Caribbean Cinemas, announced on Wednesday via their social media pages that they would not be closing.
Cinemas were closed on March 17 last year until resuming operations in November.
Chin said the industry lost millions as a result of the closure, with Movietowne Chaguanas being closed down permanently.