Senior Reporter
dareece.polo@guardian.co.tt
Government expects another difficult year ahead as it continues to assess the full extent of Trinidad and Tobago’s financial obligations while trying to create room for economic recovery.
Minister in the Ministry of Finance Dr Kennedy Swaratsingh said the administration anticipated that its first two years in office would be the most challenging, with the economy expected to begin recovering after that period.
But he said the Government is still working to determine the full extent of the country’s indebtedness, including outstanding bills dating from 2016 to 2024.
Swaratsingh was speaking at a pre-budget consultation hosted by Caroni Central MP David Lee on Tuesday night at his political party office. Residents raised concerns ranging from the condition of roads and drains to the completion of primary schools, repairs to pavilions, support for farmers and social welfare.
He said the financial pressures facing the Government were affecting even basic infrastructure works, pointing to the country’s widespread pothole problem as an example of projects for which funding had been difficult to find.
Those pressures are set to intensify as recently settled wage agreements, following the government’s election campaign promise of a 10 per cent increase to trade unions last year, begin to take effect and add to recurrent expenditure.
“As we settled many of these wage negotiations, many of the new salaries are now kicking in for the monthly paid. And in the next fiscal year, some of the salaries for the daily paid that we have settled will have to start coming in. Of every dollar the government spends, 94, 95 cents of every dollar goes into transfers, subsidies, salaries, pensions and debt repayment. So, in other words, a small portion of that dollar remains available to government.”
The warning comes as the government prepares to present its 2027 budget with limited fiscal space and a growing list of existing commitments.
Swaratsingh said the administration would have to manage those pressures while pursuing an economic rebound, suggesting that the room available for new spending remains narrow.
Lee, meanwhile, said the financial position inherited by the government had been severe enough to raise the possibility of T&T seeking assistance from the International Monetary Fund.
He credited negotiations undertaken by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and her administration over the past 18 months with keeping the country away from that position.
“As a matter of fact, given the finances of this country, I don’t want to say it, but if we did not manage it as the honourable Prime Minister and her team have been managing it, we might have ended up in the IMF. And I leave that there at this point in time. But we are not there. We are nowhere close to be there because of the negotiations and what we have been doing over the last 18 months.”
But the government’s fiscal challenges extend beyond its immediate spending commitments. Swaratsingh also warned against continued dependence on the energy sector, which he said accounts for about 35 per cent of GDP.
He said the government was looking to agro-processing, small and medium-sized enterprises and other sectors to diversify the economy and create new opportunities for growth.
Against that backdrop, Local Government and Rural Development Minister Khadijah Ameen said the administration had also reduced spending associated with ministers’ overseas travel and official functions.
Ameen said the government had been forced to make sacrifices because of what she described as the mismanagement and corruption inherited from the previous People’s National Movement administration, compounded by the wider economic challenges facing the country.
She said the administration’s position was that public funds should be directed towards citizens rather than what she described as non-essential expenditure.
