Senior Reporter
peter.christopher@guardian.co.tt
Months after one of the country’s newspapers closed its doors, another has informed staff that it is retrenching employees.
Yesterday, the Trinidad Express informed the Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union (BIGWU), which represents its staff, that the company is planning a restructuring exercise that would see editorial staff reduced from 33 to 26 employees.
Under the restructuring plan outlined, two sub-editors, a night editor (a position being made redundant) and four reporters (three from Port-of-Spain and one from San Fernando) are expected to be retrenched.
BIGWU has indicated that it intends to take action to protect workers.
In a letter to staff, the union said, “We deeply understand that this is an incredibly tense and distressing time for everyone. Facing the threat of job losses strikes at the very heart of our livelihoods and our families. However, we want to assure you in no uncertain terms: your Union is actively seized of this matter.”
The union added, “While the company frames this as a ‘proposed restructuring review,’ strict legal procedures must be followed under the law. We will hold management fully accountable to those legal frameworks. The Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union (BIGWU) is already reviewing the details, and the Executive will be issuing a formal, robust response to the company very soon.”
A meeting on the proposed restructuring was held with staff yesterday.
The announcement comes just two weeks after the newspaper’s parent company, One Caribbean Media, reported an after-tax profit of $4.36 million for the three-month period ended March 31, 2026.
However, in its financial report on May 7, Chairman Faarees Hosein said, “The Trinidad media business continued to navigate a challenging advertising market, which is showing early signs of recovery. We are rolling out enhanced multimedia packages and compelling value propositions. Additionally, we are making progress toward achieving better cost and structural efficiencies. Our other regional media businesses have demonstrated resilience in a tough industry landscape and are also pursuing strategic initiatives to secure sustainable business models.”
It has been a difficult year for local media, with reduced advertising from both government and private sector entities impacting operations across the industry.
In January, the Newsday ceased operations, with Maria Daniel of Ernst & Young (EY) appointed to oversee the liquidation and wind-up of the company’s affairs. Last week, several of the company’s assets at El Socorro were listed for sale. Sixty employees were left jobless following the closure.
In July last year, Digicel Group shut down its digital media house Loop and announced that regional sports broadcaster SportsMax would have its final broadcast on August 8. More than 100 workers were affected by that decision.
