Senior Reporter
Foreign and Caricom Affairs Minister Dr Amery Browne has withdrawn his name from the People’s National Movement’s nomination process for Diego Martin West, which current MP and Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley will vacate soon.
This was confirmed in his withdrawal letter sent to the Diego Martin West constituency executive around 6.30 pm yesterday.
This, as businessman/media personality Hans De Vignes was leading the race of six nominees involved in the process—including Browne—where support from the constituency party group units was concerned.
It was confirmed that the party group support for the nominees, up to yesterday evening, were Des Vignes (supported by nine party groups), Browne (zero), executive secretary Curtis Toussaint (zero), executive lady vice chairman Yokymma Bethelmy (zero), executive field officer Lesidi Felix (zero) and Anna Suleiman (zero).
The Diego Martin West seat has been held by Rowley since 1991 but he announced his decision to retire after 45 years in public life on January 3. He said he would resign as prime minister and not seek re-election as the candidate for the constituency in this year’s general election.
Browne, who was PNM’s Diego Martin Central MP from 2007 to 2010, became a focus of attention after remarks in the 2025 Budget debate last October. Speaking in the House of Representatives, Browne, a senator, had quipped that he was not a frequent visitor to the House “…but I once was, and who knows what the future holds.”
Asked subsequently about his plans, Browne had told the T&T Guardian last month, “I’ll update you on this in the not-too-distant future at a time I deem appropriate. Be fully assured, I remain keen on contributing to the future of our country and the party.”
A December 8 Sunday Guardian story then indicated Rowley wouldn’t be screened for the Diego Martin West seat and that Browne had his “blessing” as a replacement. Browne subsequently said he hadn’t been approached by the constituency regarding nomination.
Subsequently, however, it was revealed that Browne had submitted a January 10 consent letter to PNM general secretary Foster Cummings, “giving his full and unequivocal consent” to be nominated for consideration for the seat.
That letter was copied to chairman of the PNM’s Diego Martin West constituency, Jackie Lazarus, and the party groups. There are 23 party groups, as well as Women’s League and Youth League units.
However, Des Vignes has so far led the way in terms of nominations from party groups, who have been meeting over recent days.
Letter states
Browne’s letter to chairman Lazarus was headed “Revocation of Consent.”
It stated, “Upon consideration of further advice I have made a decision to withdraw my name from the Diego Martin West nomination process. I therefore revoke consent for nomination for the Diego Martin West constituency.
“I remain in full support of the PNM party and am completely committed to our best outcome in the upcoming elections.
“Thank you for your kind consideration and I extend my gratitude and sincere best wishes to you and the entire constituency team … Yours faithfully Amery Browne.”
Process continues next week ...
Replying to Guardian Media questions via WhatsApp last evening, Browne didn’t give details on his reasons for withdrawal, if he would seek another seat or what his next steps are.
He only said, “Upon further consideration, I have the decision to revoke the consent I had granted for nomination for Diego Martin West constituency and I have informed the constituency chairman accordingly.
“I remain in full support of the People’s National Movement and completely committed to our party’s best outcome in the upcoming elections,”
Lazarus was unavailable yesterday.
However, the nomination process continues. A Diego Martin West executive official told Guardian Media that the executive will continue the process with the nominees and indications from party groups on their choices. A meeting will be held next week and at the end of the exercise, the executive will screen those successful.
The names of the successful persons will be submitted to the party in time for the January 27 submission deadline.
Des Vignes wants to unite constituency
Contacted yesterday, Des Vignes, 39, in confirming that he had consented to nomination, said, “What I would mainly like to focus on is connecting the citizens within the constituency. Diego Martin West is a diverse constituency; a lot of individuals who may not have resources, but also individuals that have resources. How do we get the entire constituency to connect with each other, work with each other, and work on making Diego Martin West even better than it already is?”
He added that he feels blessed to be considered by at least four party groups.
— With reporting by Dareece Polo
