Divali celebrations took a fatal turn for a group of friends when one man died after being injured while bursting bamboo. Dead is Gary Guevarro, 23, of Papourie Road, Diamond Village, San Fernando. Guevarro, who was employed as a safety officer, was bursting bamboo around 7.30 pm on Wednesday, when it exploded and ignited his clothes.
He was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries yesterday. At the family's home, relatives struggled to come to terms with his death. Anup Ramanan, 32, who was with Guevarro at the time of the incident, said he had been "bursting bamboo for years and nothing like that ever happened." Recalling the incident, Ramanan said the friends were taking turns bursting the bamboo. When he (Guevarro) tried to burst the bamboo, it split and the flames caught the front of his T-shirt.
"He started to run but we could not hold him. He then ran into a neighbour's shower but when he turned on the tap, there was no water..." Ramanan said the Emergency Health Service was slow to respond. He urged young people to exercise caution when playing with fireworks, bursting bamboo and indulging in all other similar activities.