Controversy erupted on Monday night, as officers from the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) swooped down on the Couva Carnival Centre and ordered officials of the Couva Carnival Committee (CCC) to shut down all operations with three bands still to perform on stage.
At 11 pm, an officer who gave his name as Sgt Samuel, instructed CCC chairman Ramchand Rajbal Maraj to shut down all operations, although one band was positioned on the western ramp of the stage ready to parade before the judges and there was a sizeable crowd on hand.
Sgt Samuel said he was acting on the instructions of the Carnival Gold Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police Suzette Martin, to shut down Carnival operations by 10 pm, adding that Couva had been allowed to go beyond that time.
A visibly upset Maraj told the officers it was unfair and unacceptable for them to cut off the celebrations, as there were still three bands to go on stage and there were no disturbances in Couva.
“This action is completely unacceptable and unfair, since the Couva Carnival Committee held two meetings with the head of the TTPS Central Division Sr Supt Bhagwandeen, Supt Reyes and Insp Khan, and it was clearly agreed that Couva Carnival would be able to complete its Monday Nite Mas just before 12 midnight, as long as there were no disturbances or untoward incidents in the Couva area,” Maraj said.
“We have had a very wonderful Carnival so far with absolutely no incidents. It has been very safe under the watchful eyes of the police. For the police to bring the Parade of Bands to a complete halt is mind-boggling. I can’t believe this is happening in light of the agreement with the senior officers of the Central Division. There are three bands still waiting to perform. They paid their registration fees and transportation to come here tonight and they can’t even go on stage to try to recover some of their expenses. And we also have a large crowd enjoying themselves with no mishaps whatsoever. I can’t believe this is really happening in this day and age.”
He added that it was ironic that National Carnival Commission chairman Peter Kanhai had visited the site only two hours before and commended the police and the committee for overseeing a safe and enjoyable Carnival.
CCC executive member and Couva Community Police Station Council president Ezekiel Clarke said it was insulting to the masqueraders, the committee, the thousands who were enjoying the mas and the people of Central Trinidad to treat the culture of Trinidad and Tobago in such a disrespectful manner.
He suggested that in the future, all discussions on Carnival should be held with the very highest ranks of the TTPS, since they have the authority to disregard any agreement made by the Central Division and the CCC as they have done with the Monday Nite Mas.
Maraj apologised to the crowd for the shutdown, adding that it was out of the committee’s hands.
He said the committee would have to decide how to treat with the results of the competition, since the disruption of the event had raised certain issues.
