Commissioner of Police (CoP) Allister Guevarro has revealed that confidential information from the country’s elite intelligence units led to his sudden departure from Trinidad and Tobago last week.
While remaining tight-lipped about the nature of the information, Guevarro insisted yesterday that he followed all required procedures and breached no protocols.
Confirming his return to the country in a voice note issued by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) Corporate Communications Department, Guevarro sought to reassure citizens that the organisation remained under capable leadership during his brief absence from the country.
In the two-minute, 52-second message, Guevarro disclosed for the first time what prompted him to apply for emergency leave.
“On the 10th of August, 2026, following information I received from the director of the Strategic Services Agency as well as the head of Special Branch, I applied to the Minister of Homeland Security for five days of emergency leave to travel out of the jurisdiction,” he said.
Guevarro said Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander approved his request and the relevant correspondence was subsequently forwarded to the Police Service Commission (PolSC).
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Administration Junior Benjamin was appointed accounting officer of the TTPS from August 13-19.
Addressing the controversy surrounding his absence, the CoP maintained that all proper procedures had been followed.
“I followed the requirements of the established process and I breached no protocols or policies,” he stated.
Regarding public debate over his departure and the appointment of an acting CoP, Guevarro stressed that those matters fell outside the remit of both the TTPS and the CoP. He said the relevant authorities were acting in accordance with their respective mandates.
Responding to those who had politicised the issue, he remarked: “Your petticoat is showing.”
Guevarro also dismissed the numerous theories circulating publicly about the reasons he left the country.
“As to the reason of the emergency travel... well there’s been all kinds of rumours. They say I fall sick, they say I went to investigate the people who were hiding money outside of the country. I even heard that I went to a list to get people’s visas revoked.”
However, he refused to reveal the real reason for his trip.
“This is something that I am not at liberty to discuss,” he said.
“However, upon my return, I briefed the chairperson of the National Security Council and the Minister of Homeland Security, and any further enquiry may be so directed, as I will not be commenting any further.”
Rejecting suggestions that his departure had left the TTPS without leadership, Guevarro said the organisation remained fully operational throughout his absence.
“The TTPS is an institution built on structure, continuity and contingency,” he said.
He described the service as having “a robust hierarchical framework supported by competent executive officers who are fully capable of maintaining operational stability at all times.”
Guevarro added that leadership transitions, whether temporary or otherwise, were not a crisis but a normal part of the organisation’s design.
Reaffirming his commitment to the country, Guevarro said, “I remain focused on the safety of the nation, the integrity of the TTPS, and the responsibilities entrusted to me as CoP.”
