Togie Cox, a fire officer who spent years fighting to save other people’s homes from the devastation of fire, never imagined that one day, he would stand helpless before the charred remains of his own.
On Thursday around 12.30 pm, a fire gutted his house on Lewis Road, New Grant.
But some say Cox’s home could have been saved had the Princes Town Fire Station been open.
The Princes Town Fire Station had been closed in July due to safety concerns, leaving the surrounding area without the immediate support of firefighters.
A source said firefighters from the Rio Claro Fire Station had to journey to New Grant to save the house. By then the entire front of Cox’s home was already destroyed. When Guardian Media visited yesterday, Cox’s colleagues were investigating the cause of the fire. He declined to comment.
Standing amidst the ruins, Cox was unable to hide the sorrow on his face.
A firefighter who requested anonymity said it was upsetting that no attempts were being made to reopen the Princes Town Fire Station.
Former councillor Francis Paul who knew Cox and his family well said he was heartbroken over their loss.
Paul posted on his page asking for a GoFundMe to be set up for the family.
“This fire occurred minutes away from the Princes Town Fire Station which is closed. Since its closure, there have been several fires in Moruga including one tragic instance when a woman lost her life. When I saw the fire, I felt terrible for them. If the Princes Town Fire Station had been open, maybe this house would have been saved,” Paul said.
In July, the firefighters from the Princes Town Fire Station were relocated to Rio Claro and Penal stations due to their dilapidated quarters. At the time, Chief Fire Officer Arnold Bristo explained that the move was made to ensure continued service to the area, with equipment stationed at Penal to cover the Princes Town region.
Keone Guy, president of the Fire Service Association, claimed the Princes Town Fire Station had been neglected and lamented that nothing was done to prevent it from falling into a state of disrepair.
Efforts to contact National Security Minister Fitzgerald Hinds proved futile as calls and messages went unanswered.
