Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
An alleged robber has been captured in connection with the brutal assault and robbery of businessman Mohan Persad and his wife, Shirley, the owners of the renowned supermarket chain Persad’s ‘D’ Food King.
After five months of investigation, Sgt Nanan, under the supervision of Ag ASP Ramlogan and Insp Mohammed, conducted inquiries and formally charged the 20-year-old suspect, who is from Maharaj Street, El Socorro, San Juan.
The accused was charged with two counts of burglary and two counts of robbery with violence.
He is expected to appear at the Southern Masters’ Court on Tuesday.
The philanthropic couple, who initiated the grocery food chain which employed hundreds of individuals over the years, was assaulted and robbed during a home invasion on October 3 last year. The burglars absconded with a vault containing cash, jewellery, and firearms from the Persads’ residence in New Grant, Princes Town.
Police said Mohan and Shirley, both 78 years, were awakened around 3 am by six men. One of the perpetrators carried a gun.
After gaining entry by prying open a window, the assailants beat the couple about their bodies, their hands were bound with tie straps and their faces were obscured.
The bandits took a vault which contained $10,000, a licensed revolver with 25 rounds of ammunition valued at $7,000, a licensed shotgun with ten rounds of ammunition valued at $8,000, and a $3,000 cellphone. A digital video recorder (DVR) and a quantity of gold jewellery were also stolen.
Police said more arrests are imminent as they are searching for five other men.
