Three more people who were quarantined at Camp Balandra, after returning to Trinidad from a Caribbean cruise, were transported to the Caura Hospital last night for treatment for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
One of the passengers who has been in quarantine at the site since a group of 68 of them returned to Trinidad recently from Guadeloupe, confirmed this Friday night, moments after an ambulance arrived to take three more quarantine patients to Caura. Guardian Media was told that around 8 pm ambulances arrived at the Balandra facility to take three more of the quarantined members to the Caura Hospital for treatment.
According to the last Ministry of Health press release Friday, there were 66 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus in T&T.
Two people, both elderly men, have died so far from the virus and one person has recovered and been released from hospital. Of the overall figure, the ministry said 47 of the confirmed cases were people who were on the cruise, some of them having arrived independently of the group of 68.
The passenger told Guardian Media that fears were running high at the facility up to last evening, as some of the remaining 23 people say they feel as though the quarantine has been a breeding ground for the virus. The group is being tested twice a day and every time another of them tests positive, their 14-day long quarantine is restarted. One member said with shared facilities, including bedrooms, the risk of infection is very high.