Senior Reporter
kay-marie.fletcher@guardian.co.tt
Public Utilities Minister Barry Padarath has denied any Government interference in the cancellation of a Communication Workers Union (CWU) protest outside TSTT House yesterday, instead accusing CWU Secretary General Joanne Ogeer of engaging in baseless speculation over the decision.
Padarath’s response came after Ogeer questioned whether someone had intervened to have police withdraw permission for the demonstration and suggested the move was intended to intimidate her and frustrate the union’s planned action.
Responding to the media after the protest’s approval was rescinded, Ogeer said, “Maybe someone who needs to toughen up called and informed the TTPS to give me a good wood to ‘bully me’. Maybe they believe that they should stifle, further suppress and make workers feel frustrated after stating that we will openly protest for what is justly ours.”
However, when Guardian Media reached out to Padarath on the claims yesterday, he rejected any suggestion of Government involvement.
Padarath said the Government was not afraid of protests and accepted the right of citizens and trade unions to demonstrate, provided they did so within the law.
Padarath said, “Ms Ogeer must stop chasing shadows and ghosts where none exists. Simply, all she has to do, if it was in fact rescinded, was to reach out to the Commissioner of Police Office and ask for what reasons. I am not afraid of protests, and therefore it is the democratic right of citizens to do so, but they must do so within the confines of the law. And therefore my suggestion to her will be to reach out. But definitely from the side of the Government, no one is attempting to interfere in any protest. We have no fear of any protest.”
Padarath also accused Ogeer of creating the impression that there was a “sinister motive” behind the withdrawal of permission without first seeking an explanation from the police.
The CWU had planned to lead hundreds of workers in a protest outside TSTT House in Port-of-Spain beginning at noon yesterday.
However, according to Ogeer, the planned protest was called off after police withdrew permission for the demonstration just hours before it was due to begin.
Ogeer said the approval was reversed around 6 am yesterday when she received a call from Central Police Station informing her that permission had been rescinded.
Responding to the media over the approval reversal via WhatsApp yesterday, she said, “A yes quickly turned into no.”
She said the union had been given permission on Thursday and had been advised that the protest could proceed provided it remained peaceful.
Ogeer said police subsequently indicated that the 500-metre restriction on public protests contained in the State of Emergency (SoE) regulations had not initially been taken into consideration.
Under the regulations, public protests and demonstrations are prohibited within 500 metres of several designated locations, including the Ministry of Finance at the Eric Williams Financial Complex on Independence Square, Port-of-Spain.
The ministry is located about a street away from TSTT House, where the CWU had intended to demonstrate.
The planned protest comes amid an ongoing wage dispute between the CWU and TSTT over whether an agreement had been reached on a proposed ten per cent wage increase for workers.
Ogeer has been doubling down that the union and TSTT engaged in discussions on a ten per cent increase over two three-year bargaining periods, covering six years, and that calculations were jointly undertaken to determine the cost of the proposal.
The union has also sought to consolidate cost-of-living allowance (COLA) into the settlement.
However, Padarath recently rejected Ogeer’s claim of the ten per cent agreement, saying instead that both TSTT’s management and board advised him that no such offer had been made.
Despite the cancellation of yesterday’s protest, Ogeer indicated that the union intended to continue its campaign.
She said, “The road long, but we have endurance.”
She also hinted at the union’s next course of action.
“We will be going vehicle shopping next, then we need insurance for our vehicles.”
Guardian Media understands that a spouse of one of TSTT’s board members is a car salesperson, and the executive is also in the insurance industry.
