Senior Multimedia Reporter
radhica.sookraj@guardian.co.tt
Balancing empty buckets on their heads, residents of San Francique, Penal staged a noisy protest yesterday to highlight water problems in their area.Led by Councillor Doodnath Mayrhoo, residents of Antilles Trace and Deosaran Trace, who claim they have not received pipe-borne water since last month, called on the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) to immediately restore their supply.
One of the affected residents, Parbatie Deosaran, said although they pay their WASA bills they were suffering for water and have to pay $300 for a truckload of water from private contractors.
“This is not fair to us. We always trying to economise on water but we need water to wash our clothes. The children have to go to work and school and it is really hard when we have no water,” she contended.
Doubles vendor Petra Partap, who has also been buying water, complained: “Every other day we have to buy water because we do two shifts of doubles. If we get water every two weeks, it will be good. But when we not getting water for months it is hard.”
Partap said she has to go to a relative’s home to do her laundry.
“When we call the truck we don’t always get water the same day. WASA has to do better and send water to us,” she explained.
Resident Nirmal Deosaran said Deosaran Trace has been hard hit by the water shortage.
“WASA turncorks are not releasing the water pressure so we cannot get water on the hill. If they open the line harder we will get. It makes no sense you buy ten tanks and WASA is not giving you enough water to fill one tank,” he explained.
Mayrhoo said there have been water problems for more than a month in Antilles Trace, Deosaran Trace, Tenant Hill, Pluck Road and Ramcharan Trace.
“I do not know why this government is so heartless. Water is life and they should have this 24/7 water supply. These residents are still being lenient saying they would be happy to get water once a week.
“At least give them water once a week. My understanding is they cannot open the pressure because the pipes will rupture,” he added.
When contacted, Public Utilities Minister Marvin Gonzales revealed the water disruptions occurred on May 17 after a pipeline was dislodged by a Ministry of Works contractor repairing a 200-foot landslip. He said 45 houses were affected.
“The last time residents had pipe-borne water was on May 17 until 6 pm when the pipeline was dislodged,” he explained.
Gonzales said WASA provided truck-borne water to 23 houses but other householders could not get a supply because the trucks had difficulties getting to them.
He added that water trucking will continue and the pipeline will be reinstated by Tuesday. The minister said he was baffled as to why residents were not told about the dislodged pipeline.
“I would like to call upon the councillor to stop using people as political tools, especially when the facts are well known. That is irresponsible behaviour and it will not in any way intimidate me or shake my resolve,” Gonzales said.
