Senior Reporter
shane.superville@guardian.co.tt
Residents across several Santa Cruz communities are calling for the restoration of their water supply and for clearer, timelier updates from the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) regarding ongoing service disruptions.
The calls come as residents claim they have endured severe interruptions to their water supply over the past three weeks, significantly affecting their daily lives.
In a post on WASA’s official Facebook page on Monday, the authority notified the public of an unplanned interruption in service due to “emergency mechanical repairs” at the Santa Cruz Booster Station.
The post listed several communities expected to be affected by the repairs and stated that the estimated restoration time was May 23 at 8 pm.
However, several residents said the latest interruption was only one in a series of recent disruptions and expressed frustration over what they described as vague communication from WASA. They said clearer and more direct updates would have helped residents better prepare.
Pax Vale resident Michael Nanton told Guardian Media that problems with maintaining a consistent water supply began last year, but described the latest disruption as the worst in recent times.
“The last two weeks have been the worst. Right now, those tanks are empty,” Nanton said, gesturing towards the large tanks at his home.
He said that despite WASA’s advisories, residents were still unclear about the exact cause of the interruptions.
“We speak to them all the time. For the past couple months they have been having breakdowns, so we weren’t getting water regularly, but this time around the explanation was low pressure. I don’t know what they mean by low pressure, if they mean there is no water in the reservoirs,” he said.
At several properties along Dove and Falcon Roads in Pax Vale, dried shrubbery, dusty roadsides and cracked soil were visible — conditions some residents said reflected the severity of the water shortage in the area. Shortly after Guardian Media arrived in the neighbourhood, a WASA truck was seen delivering water to a home.
One worker, identified only as Jankie, said efforts to keep communities supplied with water were demanding, but noted that truck-borne deliveries provided temporary relief for affected residents.
“That’s part of our job, we have to come out and do it. We’re really busy, you see how it is.
“The residents are thankful for it because there’s no water on the line right now,” he said.
However, one Sam Boucaud resident, who requested anonymity, said that while truck-borne deliveries were appreciated, residents were also facing difficulties accessing the service.
“Now is the worst time ever. I’ve been living here for over 40 years and it’s the worst it has ever been.
“They talk about calling in to get truck-borne water, and if we see one truck for the week, we see plenty. We’re not even seeing the trucks coming around to distribute water and that’s another issue,” the resident said.
The resident also urged WASA to consider the hardship residents face because of the prolonged shortages.
“Think about how the next person will feel without water. Think about the person who has to go to work and life will be a lot easier,” he said.
While speaking with Guardian Media, the resident attempted to turn on an outdoor pipe to demonstrate the lack of water supply, pointing to dust that had accumulated around the nozzle.
Responding to Guardian Media yesterday evening, WASA confirmed that the disruptions in water supply was due to a series of mechanical and electrical failures which affected distribution assets in Santa Cruz and Valsayn.
The authority noted that the issues began between May 1 and May 4, when a 12-inch transmission main was ruptured due to works by NH contractors near the Santa Cruz Booster Station.
WASA said efforts were underway to repair the Santa Cruz Booster Station which was expected to be completed yesterday, with the scheduled water supply in Upper Santa Cruz to resume within 24 to 48 hours.
