Two Penal Secondary School students who endured a violent lunchtime assault on Thursday inside a classroom, are now afraid to return to the institution for fear of being beaten again.
The Form Two and Four students suffered bruises and scratches during the attack, where they were kicked, beaten and forcefully dragged on the ground by a group of schoolmates around midday on Thursday. The fight was captured on camera and subsequently shared among students.
Hugging her mother as tears rolled down her face yesterday, the Form Four student said she felt ashamed and was now scared to go back to school.
“I don’t want to go back. It’s not nice that happened. I hope the students who beat me get suspended,” she cried.
She said the fight started after some students began teasing her about the dandruff on her hair.
Saying she was anaemic and suffers from a dry scalp, the student said she tried to leave the classroom but was pulled back and slammed on the ground.
When her cousin tried to help, the students attacked her too, cuffing and kicking her repeatedly on her back.
Escorting her limping daughter as they walked to the school gates yesterday, Sherry Dowlat student broke down in tears.
“We are working so hard to send our children to school, and when we think they are safe, this happens,” she cried.
She said after learning about the fight and seeing the video, she contacted a dean at the school, who allegedly told her he did not care about any fight.
Dowlat said her daughter had been haemorrhaging and she took her to the Siparia District Hospital, where she was treated. Showing the bruises on her daughter’s arms, head, and neck, Dowlat said she wanted justice.
To make matters worse, she said she went to the Penal Police Station to make a report but was told to go to the Siparia Community Police. Dowlat said the Siparia police told her to return last night to lodge an official report.
Meanwhile, Mokesh Dowlat said he was horrified that his daughter was attacked in school and no one bothered to call to tell them about the attack.
“When I saw my daughter, I could not recognise her because her forehead was swelled up. They beat her mercilessly. When I saw the video of how my daughter got licks, I was horrified. I don’t even beat my dog like that. We sent her to school expecting her to be safe,” he said.
Mokesh called on the Education Ministry to investigate the frequent fights at the school.
“There is a safety officer here, a dean here. What are they here for? Why are they not protecting the children?” Mokesh said.
He recalled how his daughter’s school uniform was torn and her shirt bloodied when he came to collect her after school.
Saying fights occur daily at Penal Secondary, Mokesh blamed high teacher absenteeism as a contributory factor.
“This is not the first fight in this school. This school has fights daily, and the safety officer and the dean do nothing,” he alleged.
“The principal is not highlighting what is taking place. How many times must we complain that there is no teacher in the class? The teachers stay home. There is no supervision in the classroom.”
Guardian Media asked to speak to the principal yesterday, but a security officer said she was in a meeting.
Contacted for comment, Education Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly said: “Fights are routinely investigated. The principal leads this.”
Guardian Media reached out T&T Unified Teachers Association president Martin Lum Kin for comment but calls and messages went unanswered.
