Senior Reporter
sascha.wilson@guardian.co.tt
Three house fires, which occurred in a week, including one which led to the death of a homeowner, have reignited calls for a fire station in the Princes Town/Moruga district. The latest blaze left Anthony Jacob, his wife, and 12-year-old son counting their losses after the upper floor of their Fifth Company Village home was destroyed while they were at church on Carnival Sunday.
Although his brother and the residents tried to contain the blaze until the fire tender arrived, the upper floor of the house was destroyed. “I must say thank God for the residents, they came out and assisted… and keep the whole house from burning down,” he said. They also helped ensure that his parents, aged 78 and 74, who live downstairs, escaped unharmed.
Fortunately, Jacob said a fire tender was in Princes Town on another call and responded within a reasonable time. Otherwise, he believes, if he had to wait for a tender from Penal or Mon Repos, the entire property would have been destroyed.
Jacob, 46, said his son, who will be writing the Secondary Entrance Assessment exam this year, lost his school supplies. “Everything is lost. My wife is with the Ministry of Education, her stuff also gone, everything gone, documents, everything gone.”
Jacob said the Moruga district urgently needs a fire station because of the size of the constituency, but added that if that is not possible, a station in Princes Town would be the next best option. He expressed concern, however, that authorities are not moving quickly enough to replace the Princes Town Fire Station, which was shut down nearly two years ago.
“They should already start the process, already show at least they start something. At least one should be done completely, probably in the Princes Town area or down in this area. By the time we take the next two, three years, God forbid, more house will be done.”
Reflecting on the emotional toll, Jacob said, “I never thought this would have happen to me. You seeing it on movies, you see it happen to people, but when you actually in it, you can’t explain that feeling to lose everything, and you have to start all over. It real heartbreaking to me and the rest of the residents who it happened (to).”
Uncertain how to move forward from this tragedy, Jacob, a welder, said they would accept any help they could get. “I appreciate all the help we can get.” While the cause of the blaze is still being investigated, anyone willing to assist the family can contact 382-3394.
The blaze occurred just a mile away from where 76-year-old Bernadette Guerrero died in a fire at her Preau Village home two days prior. Another family was displaced days earlier in a house fire in the St Mary’s Village area.
On her Facebook page, Moruga/Tableland MP and Tourism Minister Michelle Benjamin acknowledged the recent spate of fires, saying the past week had been “heartbreaking” for the constituency, following three house fires. She added that her “thoughts and prayers are with the affected families during this extremely difficult time.”
She assured that she is “actively working with the relevant agencies to ensure that immediate assistance is provided to those impacted” and that she is coordinating with the line minister to address issues surrounding the Princes Town Fire Station. She also renewed her call for a fire tender to be placed within her constituency.
Investigations are continuing into all three incidents.
